27th November stress test

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Lets make this stress test the biggest clusterfudge of all time.
Get everyone you know to download the game, lets give the servers a what for!

I'll be downloading it on my second pc and having the grill play some, and bother the hell out of my friends until they download the client.

Lets break a world record, the servers AND Henrik's mind all in one giant player attack on the servers!

Reactions: Vakirauta

Svaar

Nov 4, 2020
Russia/Moscow
hopefully they will add a patch before running the open stress test. patch that will fix warping characters. if they don't, then this stress test will be the best anti-advertising of the project

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Well it is sort of meant to be a broken mess. They want us to break the servers so they get information on how many people break it and where.

If it ends up flowing flawlessly we have not brought enough people!

Reactions: Grudge Bringer

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
their video says they're 'going for the record' but i dont know how many that is, or how many they expect the server to scale to

vanilla wow had a limit of like 3000 concurrent or something, and certainly other MMOs have improved on those numbers since 2004. later versions of wow had other technologies like sharding that allowed it to scale by essentially instancing the whole world in little bits at a time, so at that point its not just one world, and imo doesnt really count.

it will be interesting to know where it breaks at. there was weird lag even during the 'large' group battle they showed in their video, so even at these numbers there's work to be done. they've certainly got a long way to go, so i hope they get good data from these tests.

-barcode

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Vanilla WoW never worked on one unified server.
Their entire server structure worked in the way that one game server would consist of several server blades that would handle different parts of the game world. Much like MO1's node system.

An entire realm in WoW could hold around 2500-3000 people, but each area started becoming unstable when going above 150 people or so, biggest group i've personally seen in WoW back in the day was the massive clusterfudge that was AQ gate opening and it was completely ruined on the server i was playing on (stormscale), game server would crash, people would get booted and have difficulty getting back in etc etc around 250 people attended from what people deduced back then.

If mo2 qualifies as one unified server, the number they'd have to beat is not too extreme I think.
If the stress test is on say one area which would technically be one server, I guess that qualifies?

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
to my knowledge, each vanilla wow world server was contained on a single blade, which they then auctioned off for easy monies at some point. i dont know if they had separate ones for kalimdor vs eastern kingdoms (its entirely possible) but each continent was at most a single machine.

regardless, you're correct in that what really matters is the number of people in a concentrated area. can a thousand players get together for a friendly battle to the death or would it devolve to a horrible lagfest of nobody being able to do much of anything. if 1000 players were able to gather, i greatly suspect the server would buckle but maybe SV can surprise us all.

-barcode

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
They auctioned off blades yes, but a ton of them. one realm consisted of 4 of these blades during vanilla release. they later increased the blade amount, not sure on how many was ever mentioned. But seeing as server caps doubled, i'd guess the amount of blades per realm doubled?

It's really up in the air for how many people we'll be able to get on the server on the 27th, they want so many so that the server at some points starts getting errors or outright crashes. There is only one way for them to simulate release day or similar hotspot and that is stress testing and the best time to do it is now.

If they don't get any errors/crashes or helpful data from the stress test, its a failure and it'll come back to bite them at some point.
The world record part is a side goal for building hype, and im all for it.

Kuroi

May 28, 2020
Naples, Italy
i'm happy about this but i also hope the countdown is not JUST for it... please release a big fat trailer as well :( we need it

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
Record? They haven't done enough marketing for a record

Yeah I don't really understand this either. Like it's cool but I have a feeling this is going to be another Mortal Royale turnout where Henrik was saying so-and-so company promised 20k people and Sebastian talked about sending out thousands of keys yet the highest Mortal Royale got on the steam charts was..

Oh wow, I can't even check now. But it wasn't past 150 I can guarantee that.

Not trying to be a naysayer but why does everything just feel so rushed? The combat feels rushed, towns are being dropped in super quick but then people find out it's just asset-bought towns, we haven't even seen combat AI, magic, and other essentials of MO and we're like a month out from full release.

There is a difference between being willfully ignorant (hopeful as some of you might call it) and being realistic (what the community labels as complaining and bitching).

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
It is going to be hard for them to get a lot of people at once for only dueling around town, they need a specific something happening (this is what went wrong in MO royale, too, people had no reason to be specific about a time and since they could play anytime they felt no urgency.)

Xunila

May 28, 2020
Germany
And if the stress tests end with login problems of many players because of too many logins at the same time, than this is also a result of the stress test.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Henrik said in Discord they wanted to beat 4k something so say 5k for good measure if thats the world record now.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
going to be tough trying to bring in that many new faces on such short notice. They should def start giving out keys on places like MMORPG.

Reactions: Rorry