Turbizzler
I define a zerg dependent on scale

For smaller scale stuff, around x3 the numbers is a zerg, examples;
1v3, 2v6, 3v9 etc

For larger scale stuff, more so 2x -x2.5 is zerging, examples;
10v20/25, 20v40/50 etc
Kaemik
Kaemik
It kind of makes all negative connotations of the word fall away if that's the case. You could roll out anticipating a guerilla strike again 30 guys using 10, get attacked by 2, and be a "zerg" if you're determining it by the scale of any enemy force you happen across in the open world.
Turbizzler
Turbizzler
If you need 30 guys to achieve victory over 10 people...in an ambush, then it speaks for itself.
The terms zerg has evolved, it still holds its roots to it's origin in SC with a mass force of lesser quality, achieving victory through numerical advantage. It's just more so generalized and the word speaks for itself as a direct implication, of your foe being lesser skilled, which they will take as an insult 9/10 times.
Kaemik
Kaemik
Read it again. You are the 10 in this scenario. You're marching against 30. 2 attack you on the way there.
K
Kokolo
I think it's a matter of intent and that is the problem with defining it. A group of 10 guys who set out with the intent of picking on 2 or 3 players I would call a zerg. A group of gatherers who are a part of the wrong guild meet an army marching for battle and they get killed? They may feel like they were zerged because they project the intent into the army and feel as they were murdered unfairly.

Not a good word.