Why MO2 didnt capture me.

Lazyactor

Mar 21, 2021
Pretty simple, really no indication that the dev team has touched grass in a decade. MO1 failed, by any metric the game failed. Even in our very niche genre the game failed. This is a community of people so starved for a meaningful pvp based mmo its hard not to get them to buy your product. You could actively post THIS IS A SCAM on your steam page and people would still buy it on the off chance you dont mean it. Seems obvious the devs know this given the shit communication I read from them.

Because of this I think the dev team is dead in the water, I dont think they understand why these games struggle or even care. I think they have a vision in their head and no real idea as to how to make it work. But being a good game actually isnt that hard, no freaking secret. If people came to play it once it means there was something worth playing. All you have to do is give up your stupid idealistic wet dream of a video game and give your players what they want and only what they want.

Sure PvP based mmos will never be number 1, I am okay with that. Being number 1 of the pvp mmo's is very attainable for MO2. It likely wont happen and it really boils down to these devs dont care that they cant support the game without customers. So they write off all feedback they dont like and or just ignore it.

Now thats fine and dandy if you have enough of a player base that supports your vision...but you dont. if you did MO1 would still be here. The issues people who want to like your game find and ask to be addressed should matter more to you than your own vision of the product.

It isnt gameplay that keeps me from logging in. Its bad devs who dont communicate or even acknowledge that things need improvement. The combat system as a whole is bad. It feels clunky, but worse than this it has the same issues these games just solved years ago. As if no innovation was ever made. What do I mean exactly?

Okay well if you invest enough time and energy into the combat of MO2 (melee) you will eventually get your defense to a point where it hard to land hits on you. This is quite natural for this style of combat and normally it can be addressed with deeper mechanics of combat, for example a common mechanic used to open up a defensively sound opponent is feinting or simply put pretending to do one action that you cancel in favor of a different one.

MO2 has failed to develop deep and or meaningful melee combat mechanics. They are bare boned and uninspired for this genre. You have games like chivalry 2 and Mordahu as examples of what right looks like. Yet instead of focusing on how these games succeeded and elevated their melee combat you chose to go back in time to a tried and tested bad melee system from over a decade ago.....thats the hill these devs want to die on...

Ok sure its a workable system for combat...if you like watching people jump in the air and then rotate their cameras a full 360 degrees before attacking...Why do people choose to play this way? because the games fundamental combat mechanics are not enough. People have to use what works and currently as well as previously for a long time this hasnt been addressed.

This combat system is very bare. you can block in four directions, you can attack in four directions. what do you do if you are dealing with someone who can consistently block your attacks from all four dirctions... well google how to spin 234234 times before attacking. you have to hide what you are doing with animations that weren't intended to be used as a primary strategy in combat because you can and you have to. there is no in built mechanic a player can get better in the game currently or previously that will allow you to keep sharpening your skills. you have to embrace the jank to progress as player in terms of your own skill level.

look as simply as I can put it, if I have to develop skills outside of your intended mechanics to defeat or overcome or get around your actual combat mechanics...they are objectively bad/unfinished. Last I checked camera spinning as fast as computably possible while winding up your attack isnt in the tutorial on how to do combat. The very fact it became that way and you left it for so long in this state tells me more about what to expect from this games future than all your promises.

Handle hits is a good example of an idea that the devs want to work but either cant get it to because its impossible or they suck at implementing it. Almost all weapons have giant confusing rules as to what counts as a handle hit and what will be the blade. How about this revolutionary idea. delete them...like honestly I cant think of a solution for such a terrible idea. In fairness it sounds reasonable in a melee pvp scenario its fundamental to manage your spacing so you can both bolster your own defense and maximize any opportunities for damage a mistake from your opponent might give you.

Now most games of this type understand implicitly that being within striking range of your opponent is dangerous. Therefor should you choose to take a risk and get within striking range of your opponent and it works out, normally you are rewarded with damage. makes sense right? MO2 like MO1 once again fails to understand that the movement in this game dosent make handle hits functional as a mechanic.

However it isnt the mechanics themselves that put me off, its the seemingly impossible to get around hard headed dumb ass moronic mentality some developers seem to develop when they sniff their own farts. You are only as good as we the players say you are. No one is singing the praises for the MO developers thats for damn sure. Welcome to 2022 where we demand that you listen to us or we dont give you our money or our time. This isnt the madden community and I wont be spoon fed shit and told its caviar. this feedback section is a great example of why after this post and maybe a few replies for any insightful questions i wont be coming back to this doomed ship.

When was the last time an actual person paid by this team responded to feedback to just let people know they understand it could be improved. Why do I read statements from devs that seem to me as if you just dont care what people say. When all feedback can just be brushed off as not real players or not the kinda players we want or some other sad excuse for a very simple fact. You arent capable of making the perfect game, your players are. Because if you are not making a game for the people who want to play your game then why are you doing anything at all.

In this day an age where so many games are making so many amazing features it really comes down to which games listen and provide for their communities better. MO2 just like MO1 is full of out of touch developers making a game for a bygone era with bygone outdated bad ideas they think are good simply because they want them to be.

How about this, your game is mostly about killing and being killed by others...maybe focus on making that the best possible experience second to no other feature of your "mmo" first and then idk ask the community what changes they would like to see that would have the desired effect of making that outcome a reality. Use your brain not every idea is a good idea but IDK maybe ignoring people and single mindedly chasing your vision for the game is probably gonna end it again before it could really get started.

Stop defending this trash of a combat mechanic, its objectively bad when titles with similar styles of combat are making real progress in elevating the idea to entirely new heights. Stubbornly staying in the past and sticking to this implementation of the mechanic is like bringing a horse and buggy to a drag race. Like yeah 50 years that would been a good choice...but ugh...progress happened and now we have better ways to race.

I will come back if the community opinion of these devs changes for the better. the only way that can happen is if the devs stop being stuck up their own asses and start making changes that the people who actually pay them for the privilege of playing the game ask for. If not well I have roughly 20 ish other games with similar dev styles in my crypt of dead steam games you are 100% welcome to join them.

Also no matter what if you at any time you made this game sub based it dies. There isnt enough here and the genre is to niche. Figure something else out I dont care if you are scared to go bankrupt that will happen anyways if you try that shit with this style of game. I though that you guys would have learned fundamental lessons after MO1 and in fairness you did quite a bit but not where it matters most. For games like this to even have a chance the community must be in love with their devs. This one isnt and even if I was willing to stick around another game similar to this one would just show up with some hype and MO2 would die just like. Because what gamers really want is a dev team that is making a game for them and not for some dumb ass vision of gaming that wont ever actually exist.

Reactions: Fearce and Gnidex

Rynnik

Feb 11, 2022
The worst thing a game studio can do is give their player base exactly what they ask for. It ruined EVE. It ruined DF. Players are moronic. Game development by democracy is about the worst possible approach.

Reactions: Teknique

Lazyactor

Mar 21, 2021
The worst thing a game studio can do is give their player base exactly what they ask for. It ruined EVE. It ruined DF. Players are moronic. Game development by democracy is about the worst possible approach.

"Use your brain not every idea is a good idea but IDK maybe ignoring people and single mindedly chasing your vision for the game is probably gonna end it again before it could really get started."

maybe I should expand upon this point, communication from this team is bad and what I do get from them gives me no hope they understand what the player want or need to fully enjoy this game over any other. I agree that sounds like hell but also not what I meant or imo even hinted at wanting.

aiky83

Apr 10, 2021
yadda yadda yadda bla bla bla

I'm glad they are out of touch with people like you. Heck i'd even pay them money to get rid of people like you. You self entitled little dipshits thinking just because you paid 20$ every gamedev has to bend the knee to your brainfarts. You lack any technical knowhow, let alone experience and all you ever bring to the table is "make it how i like it"

Gnidex

Feb 2, 2022
I'm glad they are out of touch with people like you. Heck i'd even pay them money to get rid of people like you. You self entitled little dipshits thinking just because you paid 20$ every gamedev has to bend the knee to your brainfarts. You lack any technical knowhow, let alone experience and all you ever bring to the table is "make it how i like it"
Good thing they don't listen and we have this masterpiece of a game. /s

Reactions: Deleted member 44

Lazyactor

Mar 21, 2021
k