Increase picking gains in most cases, esp off ground:

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
MO1 picking 1 covolo gave you like 800-1200 units it seemed like. Obviously, that was the exception, but they had so much stuff on the broker. Now we got like 2 or 3 cepas once in awhile and people pick them for like 15 units. I can see rare herbs picking low, but that's it! We need bigger nodes to make gathering better imo. Need to really put some resources in these empty fields, too. Like you guys did with steppe rush and bush pigs except with more variation of stuff and in more places.

You guys flooded the world w/ springbok since it's the fat food of choice, should def fill the world with other usable mats. STOP WITH THE BUSH PIGS. Delete fucking bush pigs from the game.

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
Yeah all gathering needs tweaking. Cooking needs a remake, alchemy more features and i also believe there should be a gathering profession with player made tools that give clear advantages.

Reactions: Icegoten and Xunila

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Something, for sure. I guess I am not as anti-tool as before, it just really depends on how it's implemented. The ability to pick rando stuff occasionally like something worthwhile out of a bush or something, would be nice.

But the amount of shit in the world is not enough to support. I don't feel like going out to pick corn all da time. It's way further than OATS used to be. Then you get a cepa spawn and it's like 3 cepa on the ground which pick for 20. OK.

I mean I assume carrots are on teh ground like they were before around cave camp/by top keep... but mo1 style, there need to be more gather-ables like that. I will pick them all. There should be stuff you can pick almost anywhere.

Icegoten

Jun 12, 2020
I think they made gathering even worse by adding dynamic spawns that chase you to the ends of Nave. At the end of the day who is gathering for? You can't entice a new player to gather for you because they are likely to die to the dynamic spawns. A more experience player isn't going to go out gathering because the time investment it takes to go out there is worse than just staying in a graveyard farming walkers or all of the springbok and bush pigs.

I haven't even been able to convince people to farm eggs for me and chickens are usually a few steps outside of towns by the equerry. I can get maybe 4 eggs in the few minutes it takes to clear the chicken spawn but ultimately why would I want eggs when I could just cook springbok meat and get a stack of food made much quicker than with eggs.

Reactions: Albanjo Dravae

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
I think they made gathering even worse by adding dynamic spawns that chase you to the ends of Nave. At the end of the day who is gathering for? You can't entice a new player to gather for you because they are likely to die to the dynamic spawns. A more experience player isn't going to go out gathering because the time investment it takes to go out there is worse than just staying in a graveyard farming walkers or all of the springbok and bush pigs.

I haven't even been able to convince people to farm eggs for me and chickens are usually a few steps outside of towns by the equerry. I can get maybe 4 eggs in the few minutes it takes to clear the chicken spawn but ultimately why would I want eggs when I could just cook springbok meat and get a stack of food made much quicker than with eggs.

Dynamic spawns are not at all what I wanted. I thought they would have more activated spawn spots with diff creatures that could spawn there, some wolves or a walking adventurer it's like lol. I don't think a new player would die any more than they did in 1, but there is just not enough money in it atm. Mining and gathering are both 'hard' resources in the game. Mounts, I suppose, too. That's the economy. Gold is a sink. Right now I think the economy is stupid cuz of gold. I enjoy mining, tho, I wish I could carry more stax. WTB Molva.

Gathering tho you should be able to get stuff a lot easier. I'm saying more nodes for all of the freaking plants in the world, even if they are just like 'surprise' nodes where you just reach in the bushes to see if something is there and most of the time nothing is. Like I said I can take legit pleasure in gathering, even off the ground. BOR is another good example. Bor gets picked out but Bor/sea dew... they spawn OK given the population. The other resources need to be out there like nitre etc is. Start w/ Cepa and it'll change the game. Cepa is a decent stam food!

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
Something, for sure. I guess I am not as anti-tool as before, it just really depends on how it's implemented. The ability to pick rando stuff occasionally like something worthwhile out of a bush or something, would be nice.

But the amount of shit in the world is not enough to support. I don't feel like going out to pick corn all da time. It's way further than OATS used to be. Then you get a cepa spawn and it's like 3 cepa on the ground which pick for 20. OK.

I mean I assume carrots are on teh ground like they were before around cave camp/by top keep... but mo1 style, there need to be more gather-ables like that. I will pick them all. There should be stuff you can pick almost anywhere.
Idk why would you be anti tool, knowing how shit is gathering. Haha.

Of course it depends on how is it implemented. You should be able to gather at the same rate like now without tools, with tools should take a fraction of that time to gather depending on the tool proficiency and quality. For example, instead of picking a basileus node in like 20-30 sec, with tools should be something like 3 sec depending on the tool You using, the plant and your skill, a gathering speed bonus and a yield increase should improve the quality of life for gathering.

But for a gathering revamp to be a thing it would require certain crafting classes to be deeper systems. There has to be a reason for people to gather.
I can give you an example, gathering corn is total ass, one of the worst type of activities anyone would ever want to do in this game.

It takes massive time to get to the spawns from wherever you are and when you actually there it can take hours to fill up 3 horses for which by the time you do might aswell found someone that may be a threat. I mean travelling already is tediouss and time consumming, how are they incentivating new players to explore and gather when thats the picture, gotta be pressing the R button for hours to gather some randoms ass plants, just to travel more and get paid shit for cooking placeholder stam food.

Idk what do you imagine i ment with gathering tools, but should be in place for making gatherers life easier and more rewarding, instead of the poop systems we have right now. For me they represent a possible way to minmax gathering professions giving them a more active role on the game's design, also tools should be player made and maybe even add "secret" recipes that would boost certain gathering stat percentage for certain type of plants.

It would make sense that for using a gathering tool you would be more efficient the more you know about it, also the more you know about the plants collecting and the tool you are using. Right now does it not matter your knowledge of the actual plants while gathering because it won't give you any yield boost or anything in terms of recognizing that player's talents.

Theres so much potential for making PVE something more, by making shit more fun to do, more challening and rewarding.

Also, there wouldn't be a reason to make gathering profession aslong as theres placeholder cooking and alchemy is so shitty.

Last edited:

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Having appropriate lores should increase gathering rate. And yeah they've needed to make axes and pick give a gathering rate bonus ever since they made them craftable. Throwing sickles/scythes in there would make sense as well. I'd make better materials give a slight bonus to gather rate but I'd also for those two tools in particular make it where they hit in a radius. Like if you stand in a field of barley and swing a scythe you gather from each barely node you hit or potentially hit the same node multiple times if you spend a lot of time passing the tool through multiple gathering points of a single node.

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
Having appropriate lores should increase gathering rate. And yeah they've needed to make axes and pick give a gathering rate bonus ever since they made them craftable. Throwing sickles/scythes in there would make sense as well. I'd make better materials give a slight bonus to gather rate but I'd also for those two tools in particular make it where they hit in a radius. Like if you stand in a field of barley and swing a scythe you gather from each barely node you hit or potentially hit the same node multiple times if you spend a lot of time passing the tool through multiple gathering points of a single node.
yeah area dmg could be a thing, it could be item/target based aswell if theres coding strunggling like we know there is.
One thing that should definitely change is static activities, that should be a no-go. To be semi afk gathering is total shit. For mining or woodcutting should be able to (and probably require) for people to move and relocate while gathering.
Not being possible to look around while mining/woodcutting without stopping the action means pvers have a locked sight while gathering which is absolute shit.
Theres absolutly no reason for PVE to have such a shitty desing, its sad and pitiful as fuck.

Reactions: Midkemma

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
yeah area dmg could be a thing, it could be item/target based aswell if theres coding strunggling like we know there is.
One thing that should definitely change is static activities, that should be a no-go. To be semi afk gathering is total shit. For mining or woodcutting should be able to (and probably require) for people to move and relocate while gathering.
Not being possible to look around while mining/woodcutting without stopping the action means pvers have a locked sight while gathering which is absolute shit.
Theres absolutly no reason for PVE to have such a shitty desing, its sad and pitiful as fuck.

Crowfall actually did gathering really well. Was by far the most innovative system I've ever seen. They had these little weakspots that popped up while gathering that would increase gather rate if you hit that specific spot on the node. They also had really large nodes that were easy for entire groups to work on and some resources specific to these "motherlode" group nodes. Then they made the time that elapses from start to finish of gathering a node increase the amount of rare drops.

Net effect 1: Active gathering took a small amount of skill with rewards for actively engaging with the gathering mini-game.
Net effect 2: Teamwork was actually an important part of gathering with it being well worth the effort to get a group to go gather as a team. But they managed to do this without removing the value of solo gatherers.

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
I want to be able to press button once and gather fruits, like you can with wood and stone.
confused-no.gif

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021

He means gather like press R, then it keeps gathering and not have to hold. I agree. I need to have a gather macro otherwise. It's too hard to do that for a long time, for me.

I don't want tools because it favors people who put money into it, thus favors the people who are rich, gathering should be hard. Like I said, gathering should involve getting to places normal people can't as easily, like w/ heavy armor on or w/e, or swimming... and the gains need to be good. Obviously if water is involved the gains need to be REALLY good because you gotta go thru w/ a small-ish amount so you don't drown.

If nubs went out to gather and came back with stax of gatherables, they could make a living off that. That part of the economy is inbalanced imo.

Icegoten

Jun 12, 2020
The clades that will show a message stating you can get rare resources from woodcutting certain nodes can be greatly expanded on. The clade implies that your character knows enough about the tree they are chopping to be able to tell when there are gems in it. Well they don't have to stop there with it.

Henrik did talk about being able to craft your own fishing rods eventually so it's at least a thought in one aspect of the game they had. I think the same can be done with toolmaking. Maybe making a proper axe for woodcutting can make it so you hit the tree harder and get more wood from it. Or maybe there is another mechanic for getting gems where eventually when we have jewel crafting if you're a master at that and woodcutting maybe you could use a pickaxe to vibrate the tree in such a specific way that you get more gems from it but less wood because of magical reasons. I don't know but something crazy like that can be expanded so that more goes into gathering of all types. If they do tools and you have 100 in Agrostology maybe you can use a tool designed to get more seeds while gathering or the AoE gathering.

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
He means gather like press R, then it keeps gathering and not have to hold. I agree. I need to have a gather macro otherwise. It's too hard to do that for a long time, for me.

I don't want tools because it favors people who put money into it, thus favors the people who are rich, gathering should be hard. Like I said, gathering should involve getting to places normal people can't as easily, like w/ heavy armor on or w/e, or swimming... and the gains need to be good. Obviously if water is involved the gains need to be REALLY good because you gotta go thru w/ a small-ish amount so you don't drown.

If nubs went out to gather and came back with stax of gatherables, they could make a living off that. That part of the economy is inbalanced imo.
Tools don't have to be really expensive and expensive ones shouldn't have that much cost either. It doesn't have to be a material sinkage feature (necessarilly).

There could be a different variety of tools, easier more accesible ones made of bones or stone byproducts and then metal ones which would require metals lore to make. Needs certain balance guidelines, but Id say in general, not massive cost for the highest tier of tools and not a big gap between the lowest and the highest tier tools in terms of efficiency/utility.
By cost i mean, not making a skadite scycle or scissors to be really expensive and rewarding.

The utility and effects of tools could be faster gathering and slightly gathering yields depending on the type of tool for the task, tool skills proficiency and material lore.

For example a very crude reference at max skills max tier material with values set only as a reference obviously.

hand gathering yield/gathering time 100%

Bone tools gathering yield 105% gt 140%

Stone tools gy 110% gt 160%

Metal tools gy 115% gt 180%

High tier tools (?) 115% gt 200%

Then the crafting of tools should be somewhat versatile and cost somewhat close to weapons, a different variety of tools for different gathering options. Pickeaxes, axes, scycles (and all plant related tools such as scissors, knifes, wooden sticks to gather fruits from the top of the trees, no límit), butchery tools for meat and skin just to start, then alchemycal tools (vial crafting, keg crafting, at least), extraction, cooking and more.
All tools should be crafteable and have durability.

Crafting tools could be simple with more or less complex alternatives, certain woods for the shaft should be required depending on the type of tool, softer/maleable and heavy ones for example. Weight could affect the tools buffs and be less impacted by the tool skill proficiency.
Blades that are more or less durable depending on the material, should also affect the gathering buff stats. For example lighter materials that have less dura also have a lower yield boost coeficient while heavier ones could have better yield boost at expense of gathering speed. Players could opt for more balanced tools, tools that have more yield bonus and others with higher speed, and the whole spectrum in-between. But offering the possibility to opt between a range of versatile tools seems the way to go.

Fine tunning version, idk make optional to put a gem inside the core of a tool to provide whatever status (that shouldnt be OP) for gathering certain type of things for example. An amethyst inside a scycle grants the chance to find seeds or insects or insert material, and same to any other tool. The chance to get collected or extracted somewhat exceptional or rare mats (not OP), why not.

All should be ment to make the game easier at a certain cost. To promote crafters to offer a more wide variety of specialty services required for other playstyles to trade with.
The whole idea would be to set a system that will generate material usage and boost the quality of life for many playstyles in the form of balanced meaningfull pve content.

And thats just a portion of the pve aspect of the game, there needs to be a bunch more things taken care of, such as AI, material distribution, small random lawless npc camps with equerry and broker, and many more things.

Gathering needs tweaking obviously, theres plants that give too much and others that don't at all. That makes their value fluctuate also in stagnant economy when materials have devalued due to not enough demand. But for a gathering remake it would require for more crafting classes and professions to emerge and add more layers of material consumption/usage.

Gathering certain things Is really unrewarding and often their price depend on that, still a whole spectrum of cooked gatherables that don't provide any real advantage buff or status besides growth and age stuff and nourishment. Those are fixed recipes that even tho they should be ingame not all cooking recipes should be like that, theres no healing overtime, raw fishes are better health nourishment, no other statuses or reasons for people to gather anything for cooking at least. Alchemy Is more involved and developed but just responds to a fraction of the materials.

Also i definitely agree gathering by itself needs better environments, more challenging and involving scenes. A cave you have to swimm into or through to access certain gatherables, a design that encourages exploration and makes travelling worth while. Killing certain creatures to access certain resources, involve bandit villages, crop farmers idk you name it. Theres many possibilities to make pve a more attractive scenario, part of what consider should be a good start Is a gathering remake haha.

Last edited:

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Gathering should be totally doable with no investment but I don't agree that there should be no option to speed things up by risking better tools. Seems to go against the risk vs. reward nature of the game a bit. Like say the best tool gives a 25% bonus. Is that really so broken?

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Gathering should be totally doable with no investment but I don't agree that there should be no option to speed things up by risking better tools. Seems to go against the risk vs. reward nature of the game a bit. Like say the best tool gives a 25% bonus. Is that really so broken?

you are losing a bag and a mount prol anyway unless you are gathering at home. Time spent = risk. Same w/ mining. The picks are just too low is all. At least try it with higher picks or longer picks and see because I don't think gathering time is an issue at all. This is from a SRS gatherer. I don't want the game to become a game where tools boost your shit. I like immersion. I think that the idea of having a sickle or something that you can equip and swing and in fields of x it gives you gains tho. Something like that would be cool.

Or a shovel you could use on the ground and maybe 2 more pickables will spawn. That sounds even more broken, but it makes so much more sense. I strongly resist the MMOification of this game.

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
well the actual values are reference only, a possible configuration for the tools but doesn't have to be like that. Exacly risk reward is exacly that, are you willing to use a tool that is more expensive than the previous version thats not that much worse. Its a matter of efficiency and the choices players make.
I despise the idea of making terribly expensive items, like prepatch trinckets or overvalued shit.

you are losing a bag and a mount prol anyway unless you are gathering at home. Time spent = risk. Same w/ mining. The picks are just too low is all. At least try it with higher picks or longer picks and see because I don't think gathering time is an issue at all. This is from a SRS gatherer. I don't want the game to become a game where tools boost your shit. I like immersion. I think that the idea of having a sickle or something that you can equip and swing and in fields of x it gives you gains tho. Something like that would be cool.

Or a shovel you could use on the ground and maybe 2 more pickables will spawn. That sounds even more broken, but it makes so much more sense. I strongly resist the MMOification of this game.

But give me an actual reason you don't want PVE gathering tools, or is it just because. Because the actual reasons you mentioned so far are not enough.

I see gathering could be tweaked in times and yields, people should be incentivated to travel off towns instead of semi-afk mining, the mini-game stuff is really good approach, got very basic systems like rust for example that for mining gotta hit on a "shining spot" that moves everytime you hit.

Idk whats SRS, i've played more pve games than i'd like to admit. What better immersion that having professional gamestyles for collecting plants xD if that ain't immersion idk what is.

Idk about that shovel shit u said, doesn't sound right.

Gathering time is not issue at all? Try getting low quantity spread materials, like basileus or phasel bean, sea dew and all that shit. Gotta wait for the R loading time makes me wanna uninstall the fuck outa the game.

Lets be honests here, PVE in this game is total dog ass. The problem is much more than just "boosting" certain materials gathering yields, the problems are crystal clear.

Right now i have a cook and alchemyst just like in MO1, i can see the pve problematics and all the placeholder content i don't see how people don't actually want more PVE content and prefer ""hardcore"" content like sieging XD.