Suggestion - Fix weapon names (Post weapon crafting patch)

Valoran

May 28, 2020
Hello.

Weapon crafting was added to the alpha recently, and along with it came new names for many of the weapon heads available in game.

This thread will draw attention to some naming inconsistencies and how to fix them.

It is clear after this patch that Starvault does not aim to use historical earth names for weapon heads, but to instead take a simpler approach and name things according to their appearance, such as "straight blade" or "Heavy short blade", as it was in MO1 for the most part.

This is all well and good, however some historical names are still being used, so I will offer corrections for those, and alternatively some suggestions for what SV could potentially rename them to in following with their simpler approach to the other names.

These will be listed in no particular order, so here we go.

1. Starting with the "Great Khurite Blade" Previously known by its earth name, the Katana.
great khurite blade.jpg

The term "Greatblade" is a modern catch all term for the larger blades that existed towards the end of the medieval period such as the Italian Spadone, Spanish Montante, German Zweihander or British Greatsword.

All the two handed blade heads currently available fall accurately under this term, except for one. This one.

The khurite blade / katana is much shorter in length than the other great blades here, and as such should probably just be called "Khurite Long Blade" if we are aiming for simplicity given that shorter Khurite blades may be added later.

2. Next up we have the "Great Kris Blade" Previously known as the Flamberge.
great kriss blade.jpg
The kris is an Indonesian dagger, not a long blade. This would be roughly the same as naming the normal greatblade "Great dagger". Although this is not entirely semantically incorrect, it is still very odd to apply a name in such a loose sense, when a more correct and accurate name was already used.

Flamberge is French for flame blade. As such, given that we aren't going for historical earth names, perhaps "Great Flame Blade" is the way to go here. (This gives us the option to introduce shorter flame blades later without worrying about the name)

3. Moving on we have the "Backsword Blade" formerly known by it's earth name, the Falchion.
backsword blade.jpg
The term backsword refers to a sword that "has a back" in that it is single edged.

So similar to the kris example, this term is not entirely incorrect, however the previous name this blade had was already completely correct. This would be the same as calling the katana "technically" a backsword even though it clearly is not.

The majority of all backswords are also much thinner than this, which is relevant for the next example.

If you're going to use a historical earth name for a blade, why not use the correct one?

If we're using earth names, this blade is undeniably a Falchion, not a backsword.

4. Here we have the "Straight Backsword Blade" Previously known in game as the rapier (I know).
straight backsword blade.jpg
This one is actually pretty accurately named, my only suggestion would be to simply rename it to "Backsword Blade" after correcting the Falchion name above, as the majority of all backsword's are indeed straight and it seems like an odd inclusion.

5. The "Shortsword Blade" is a new inclusion to the game as far as I am aware.
Shortsword blade.jpg
My problem with the name Shortsword for this blade is that it is not a particularly short blade. It is of standard arming sword length, with the only standout feature it has being that it is relatively broad for an arming sword, and as such I would suggest renaming this one to "Broad Blade".

Although the term broadsword is a historical one, that specifically refers to Basket-hilted broad swords, the blade is not too dissimilar, and the term itself is still very simplistic in that it is observationally verifiable, provided a broader sword is not added later. I would also suggest this, in order to allow for my next suggestion to be viable.

6. The "Heavy Short Blade" previously known as bastard blade I believe, or by it's earth name, the Roman Gladius.
Heavy short blade.jpg
The gladius typically weighed around 800 grams, so less than 1kg. Which is not a particularly heavy blade.

I would take the recently available "Shortsword Blade" and stick it on this one instead, as it is at least accurate then, with this blade being the shortest available before entering dagger territory.

7. The "Heavy Great Blade" previously known as the Grossemesser
Heavy Greatblade.jpg
I don't believe naming a blade based on it's weight is a good idea, as it is not descriptive of its actual characteristics and is only valid when comparing blades of the same relative category.

Surely this blade should be called "Curved Great Blade" or "Great Curved Blade".

8. Lastly, a brief point about these two sword hilts:
clean crossguard hilt.jpg
I'm not a fan of the arbitrary name "Clean Crossguard" as it tells you nothing about the actual design of it.

Surely a better name would be "Ring Crossguard" for the one on the left, and "Double Ring Crossguard" for the one on the right?

Alternatively "Simple Ring Crossguard" for the one on the left, and keep "Ring Crossguard" for the one on the right?

This brings us to the end of my post for now, I may add some additional points in the first few comments at a later date.

Here is a condensed list of instructions to summarise the changes proposed:

1. Rename "Great Khurite Blade" to "Khurite Long Blade"

2. Rename "Great Kris Blade" to either "Great Flame Blade" or "Flamberge" to use the earth name.

3. Rename "Backsword Blade" to "Falchion" (I can't think of a simplistic name for this one that wouldn't encroach on other names too much, it really is just a Falchion.)

4. Rename "Straight Backsword Blade" to just "Backsword Blade" I don't see why we should make the distinction, as a more curved blade would be called a curved blade or sabre.

5. Rename "Shortsword Blade" to "Broad Blade"

6. Rename "Heavy Short Blade" to "Shortsword Blade"

7. Rename the "Heavy Great Blade" to "Curved Great Blade" or "Great Curved Blade"

Thank you for reading, and as always have a wonderful day.

Last edited:

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
If i recall right, they have to be carefully with names because they don't want to copyright anything. Though i think you are right on with these name changes.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
I'm still waiting for the dunk sword, scroach blade, hand putter blade, with a you get that hilt.

Valoran

May 28, 2020
If i recall right, they have to be carefully with names because they don't want to copyright anything. Though i think you are right on with these name changes.

It's not a copyright issue.

I believe the reason they choose to mostly forgo historical names for things is due to the fact that these languages and countries do not exist on Nave, and so the historical context is not applicable.

It's merely a coincidence that the weapon heads happen to look the same as ones from our history.

Although the different clades are clearly inspired by different peoples from history.

Reactions: Rolufe

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.

I believe the reason they choose to mostly forgo historical names for things is due to the fact that these languages and countries do not exist on Nave, and so the historical context is not applicable.

It's merely a coincidence that the weapon heads happen to look the same as ones from our history.

Although the different clades are clearly inspired by different peoples from history.

Which lead to me having a nice discussion on reddit. Fun times.

I agree with your suggestions. My memories of MO1 weapon crafting are a bit fuzzy, but I thought the names were pretty alright back then.

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth

I just said they have to be careful. All it takes is one thing that looks and says its the same as another game, movie, show and they could have issues. Didn't say they are going to have issues. XD