Poll - Parry Speed After Swing

Option 1 is current parry speed. Option 2 is suggested parry speed. Which would you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PatWins

May 28, 2020
Hey everyone, hope you're doing well!

As we all know, parrying is far too rewarding in it's current state. If you've spent much time in the alpha, you have probably noticed yourself attempting to trade hits and wondering how you were both hit and parried at the same time. Low ping and fast weapons increase this effect dramatically. Yes, I'm aware that you aren't actually being hit at the exact same time, but when you mix a quick weapon with low ping you feel as if you're hitting an invincible statue.

Forcing the entire swing animation to follow through before parrying will open the floor back up to hit trading and footwork. At a minimum, it will be a step in the right direction. Remember, the more fighting styles that are encouraged by MO2's combat system, the more interesting the game becomes. With or without the swing/block que system, the time between a swing and parry is still too fast.

Please note - Henrik has explained that the swing/parry que system is being removed and tested next patch. Try not to focus on this area of the topic because it is already happening.

Below, you'll find your voting choices. Option 1 is the current parry timing and option 2 is the suggested parry timing. Thank you!

Last edited:
Reactions: ThaBadMan and Crewe

PatWins

May 28, 2020

And the animation going from "end swing to idle to block" could look a bit smoother as well.

Looking forward to the usual crowd explaining to me how this will lower the ceiling.
I think they may surprise you this time around. Obviously, option 2 is just a bad example I created using the alpha client. With the timing tweaked and animation smoothed, I think it would be an excellent change.

Reactions: Kelzyr and Rolufe
D

Dracu

want to know the issue here? Its freaking block queing, the moment that would get removed it would actually require timing and thats a player skill.
Iam for neither and just removing the block Que

Last edited by a moderator:

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
I think I’m more concerned with the block queuing than anything else.

It however may still be too quick without it but I think 2 may be too slow as well.

Would like it to be somewhat difficult to time and the swing clearly needs to be finished.

So basically I’m saying 2 but I don’t want it to be dramatically slower.

Anyway we can get an option 3 in between or free format response?

Reactions: PatWins

PatWins

May 28, 2020
I think I’m more concerned with the block queuing than anything else.

It however may still be too quick without it but I think 2 may be too slow as well.

Would like it to be somewhat difficult to time and the swing clearly needs to be finished.

So basically I’m saying 2 but I don’t want it to be dramatically slower.

Anyway we can get an option 3 in between or free format response?
Feel free to post suggested timing clips here. That was just a one and done try to use as an example. It was made to highlight the concept rather than be used as a literal translation.

That concept is the swing animation needs to finish entirely before parrying. I agree with all points on block/swing queing. Henrik has explained that they are removing it in the next patch which is great.

Last edited:
Reactions: Teknique

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Might still be more prudent to fix queuing first and then adjust. Hard to be scientific when you’re changing multiple variables simultaneously @Henrik Nyström

Reactions: PatWins

PatWins

May 28, 2020
Might still be more prudent to fix queuing first and then adjust. Hard to be scientific when you’re changing multiple variables simultaneously @Henrik Nyström
Yeah, this post may have been a tad premature considering there are huge changes coming Monday. Nonetheless, at least we will have a baseline of the community's wants/needs.

Reactions: Teknique

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
I'd say its perfect as it is for click drag, 2 could feel a bit clunky. There should still be a way to win a fight without taking damage IF your good enough, or the game will just be who has better gear and trade hits online.

There were very few ppl who could pull this off in MO1 because it required very good timing and getting to know the duration of your weapon animation, but now in MO2 even roleplaying/pve noobs from MO1 can do this.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
I'd say its perfect as it is for click drag, 2 could feel a bit clunky. There should still be a way to win a fight without taking damage IF your good enough, or the game will just be who has better gear and trade hits online.

There were very few ppl who could pull this off in MO1 because it required very good timing and getting to know the duration of your weapon animation, but now in MO2 even roleplaying/pve noobs from MO1 can do this.
Its definitely wayyy easier in mo2 versus 1, even on click drag. I don't necessarily mind that myself as it works for me, but in order not to be bias it still may be too fast. I'd be happy with just the queue removal though and then see how it feels.

Again if EU's are still parrying while swinging on click drag, which they definitely can. Changing the parry mechanic doesn't actually solve anything. Its the ping mechanic that is the problem.

Remove swing queue first, ask questions later.

Last edited:

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
I dont want to say either of these options but if i had to pick. 2 would be the choice..

I would like to see blocking just fixed up somehow. A slight delay between the block and the attack makes sense. Though would like to see a player rewarded for great timing after a swing to make a block happen. Then again seeing people swinging and getting a block is super annoying. Which mostly falls on latency stuff.

I think i would like to suggest a complete overhaul of blocking, removing the que all together, give a .2 delay for players spam blocking for parries ( or those who choose the wrong block ), also make it only mouse related to remove any possibility of key+block making delay issues. Though these are just some ideas, i think blocking can be fixed up a bit.

Reactions: boba

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
@PatWins can you make the poll editable and add an option for removing queue and wait to see what happens. I can’t change my vote and a lot of people aren’t comfortable voting on the poll as it doesn’t have an option that is reflective of their opinion

Reactions: Rolufe

boba

Jun 23, 2020

But, if "overhauling" queues doesn't do what I think it will:

Eldrath said:

And the animation going from "end swing to idle to block" could look a bit smoother as well.

Looking forward to the usual crowd explaining to me how this will lower the ceiling.

Last edited:

bubbles

Jul 1, 2020
I'm not a vet but I'll ask this. Why is attack and block queueing so bad? All the other similar games have it and it just makes the combat feel more fluid and responsive in my opinion, if I'm pressing left click my guy should get ready to swing.. not just stare because i misstimed it by .1 secs. Is the skill in knowing the right timing of when to press left click really that rewarding? It just feels more like clunkiness rather than an actual mechanic.

Here's your counter argument "Oh yeah it makes it so you have to practise your new weapon for a longer time to get used to the new timings" I understand but how valuable is that vs the combat not being clunky as hell for most people. And sure it makes it "less skilled" by a small margin (its not that hard to train your timing) but I think skill in combat shouldn't come through overcoming clunky gameplay mechanics.

I voted number 2 though but that has nothing to do with queueing