Bring back longer extraction timers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
I tried explaining multiple times, giving up now.

For the future you should consider that your way of playing is not the only or even best way of playing the game. I for example never went afk while extracting and it was quite enjoyable.

I also choose to either play with a community that filled the gaps in what I could get or played the trading game. The only time I felt I HAD to do somethinig was bow crafting, because no one would do it. Even then I found it fun for a while. Crafted a few hundred bows, and dropped it again.

Then again I also wasn´t big on sitting behind walls generating wealth, which is what most MO1 players did. I can see how that is extremely boring. It also promotes going afk, since you cannot control anything. It vastly different with appliances in the wild where oyu can use multiple and there is other worthwhile stuff to do.

Anyway I´m done discussing this with you, but if anyone else wants to bring forward interesting arguments I´m happy to jump in again.

For clarity I put examples in the OT.

Last edited:

Speznat

May 28, 2020
Tindrem
wolfszeit.online
I tried explaining multiple times, giving up now.

For the future you should consider that your way of playing is not the only or even best way of playing the game. I for example never went afk while extracting and it was quite enjoyable.

I also choose to either play with a community that filled the gaps in what I could get or played the trading game. The only time I felt I HAD to do somethinig was bow crafting, because no one would do it. Even then I found it fun for a while. Crafted a few hundred bows, and dropped it again.

Then again I also wasn´t big on sitting behind walls generating wealth, which is what most MO1 players did. I can see how that is extremely boring. It also promotes going afk, since you cannot control anything. It vastly different with appliances in the wild where oyu can use multiple and there is other worthwhile stuff to do.

Anyway I´m done discussing this with you, but if anyone else wants to bring forward interesting arguments I´m happy to jump in again.

For clarity I put examples in the OT.
IM also done arguing with you.

you love your timers sitting afk and doing nothing and call it gameplay. WTF
I bet you still dont get it. but anyway. Lets look with what stuff SV comes up.
maybe its longer timers like you want it to be. maybe its mingames, maybe its the thing i mentione, maybe it is totally different that nobody thought of.

Last edited:

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
I hate to say it, but some sort of timer is needed or the economy will be flooded with metals. The best scenario would be something like Rust, you leave your stuff extracting and anyone can come take it. I honestly wouldnt like minigames for extracting, they sound way more tedious than afking and watching youtube videos. But if its just an option to speed things up, that is fine.

May 28, 2020
I hate to say it, but some sort of timer is needed or the economy will be flooded with metals.
Is that so? I thought ore was the finite, valuable commodity when it comes to extraction, not time. Somebody can always run a second client and spend 24/7h extracting for his guild, does the timer limit the amount of extraction he will get done or the amount of ore&metal?

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
Is that so? I thought ore was the finite, valuable commodity when it comes to extraction, not time. Somebody can always run a second client and spend 24/7h extracting for his guild, does the timer limit the amount of extraction he will get done or the amount of ore&metal?

That depends entirely on the spawn rate of ores and on how much of that reaches the appliances. But in general I´d say timers can adjust of how much metal is create in certain time period. In the end you can balance it both ways.

Personally I like having the depth of extraction with it being a true profession in game. To others it just adds unnessary busy work. It´s the same for every system in the game.

Ibarruri

May 28, 2020
Meduli
I speak as someone who has processed thousands of stacks of sabura granum, gabore and tepra.
It's honestly true that they need to take a look at the processing and extraction system. It was terribly hard.
On the other hand, it is true that tasks such as mining, felling trees and other painful jobs have always been and will be hard in all games.
Is it possible to make these hard jobs fun?
I don't know, maybe.

I think the idea of some kind of minigame might be interesting, but I don't know what starvaulta thinks about it.

Rhias

May 28, 2020
On the other hand, it is true that tasks such as mining, felling trees and other painful jobs have always been and will be hard in all games.
Is it possible to make these hard jobs fun?

The system in Rust is enjoyable...
Trees are cut down pretty fast (<1min). So you need to move frequently to the next tree.
Rocks are mined pretty fast (<30 seconds). So you need to move to the next one (or search the next one, cause they're clustered in some areas, but once you mined them you need to find the next cluster).

Reactions: Ibarruri

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
While I like the idea of felling trees I´m a bit worried that the land around the starter towns is just gonna look horrible. A bunch of empty landscape is not really triple AAA looking. But I guess you could have trees grow extremely fast like in Atlas. Which is weird in it´s own way.

Rhias

May 28, 2020
While I like the idea of felling trees I´m a bit worried that the land around the starter towns is just gonna look horrible. A bunch of empty landscape is not really triple AAA looking. But I guess you could have trees grow extremely fast like in Atlas. Which is weird in it´s own way.
Most likely felling trees is from the performance not viable for MMO scale... And it's just a wish. :(

Ibarruri

May 28, 2020
Meduli
The system in Rust is enjoyable...
Trees are cut down pretty fast (<1min). So you need to move frequently to the next tree.
Rocks are mined pretty fast (<30 seconds). So you need to move to the next one (or search the next one, cause they're clustered in some areas, but once you mined them you need to find the next cluster).

sound good. I supose Henrik are planing some changes about this question. He read about this supose.

SeaShadow

Jul 16, 2020
Extraction should be zero timer. Better to spend time running around finding resources or really anything. Just reduce node respawn timers, or do something creative like scattering nodes randomly in interesting to explore places. That is if SV thinks waiting 30 minutes on extraction is required to keep farming rates under control.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
Extraction should be zero timer. Better to spend time running around finding resources or really anything. Just reduce node respawn timers, or do something creative like scattering nodes randomly in interesting to explore places. That is if SV thinks waiting 30 minutes on extraction is required to keep farming rates under control.

Well, I´d rather have zero timer than the medium timers. Either long timers with multiple machines to have a skill ceiling or zero timers. Would feel wrong though.

a.out

May 28, 2020
Timesinks like those are atrocious and unnecessary. The time it takes to make a given product should solely depend on logistics. You can tune the amount you want generate per player by adjusting mining rates. You can also wear out pick axes - they already do, but those need to be player crafted as well. Similar sattles, horse shoes, arrows - pretty much everything needs to be player crafted. This alone will generate enough of a time sink especially combined with the overarching goal to incentivize one character per player.

Reactions: Xunila and Speznat

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
Timesinks like those are atrocious and unnecessary. The time it takes to make a given product should solely depend on logistics. You can tune the amount you want generate per player by adjusting mining rates. You can also wear out pick axes - they already do, but those need to be player crafted as well. Similar sattles, horse shoes, arrows - pretty much everything needs to be player crafted. This alone will generate enough of a time sink especially combined with the overarching goal to incentivize one character per player.

Could you explain this as an example?

I do not get how looking at rock with a animation plays is more fullfilling than setting a bunch of machines running and doing stuff, collecting, repeating, dueling, gathering etc. Honestly mining seem like more of drag. And you want more of that?

Same goes for all the examples. Crafting is just standing in front of table pressing a bottom, especially with easy stuff that doesn´t require knowledge like alchemy. So ... what´s the difference except it´s a worse and less interactive time sink?

Reactions: Amadman
Status
Not open for further replies.