Dynamic mining node maximums

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
I was wondering if there was any chance we could have nodes be more dynamic in MO2? Nodes where the maximum amount of ore available in them changes based on how often they are mined.

I had suggested something similar in the past and don't remember the exact details.

Basically nodes start off with very small maximums but the maximums grow over time if they are not mined. Then maximums would come down as ore is eventually mined out of a node that has grown.

This way nodes in towns and near TC areas would automatically have a small maximum since it is mined often. While out of the way nodes that are not mined often could grow to have a much larger maximum.

Something like this could lead to players having to occasionally explore the world to find nodes worth mining vs mining the same mines over and over.

This could also lead to more conflict over mining areas because a 'good' node would turn 'bad' the more it is mined. So players will not want other miners 'spoiling' nodes.

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
i believe henrik mentioned the old node system is gone, mining/woodcutting will happen at actual rocks/trees and they go away once mined out (respawn time unknown).

-barcode

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
I would prefer a dynamic spawn system like rust, with higher quality nodes spawning inside specific areas. Woud really encourage exploring around instead of camping the same spots. Nodes near npc towns should be low quality

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
I'm hoping Henriks mentions of trees falling and rocks crumbling goes the way he ideally mentioned. Where trees fall and you harvest more per tree, to the point where you you'll need a wagon to transport large amounts of materials.

I'm guessing this means they respond randomly ( or a specific time based on when they were harvested, facts unknown at this time) though sounds like you get more per raw material when it comes to trees and stone. Which would be nice for less time waiting for material respond as that material wouldn't be there at all until it's harvestable. Also creating more action with resources and less people camping nodes due to them having to harvest twice for the raw material itself. The more harvesting in an area the less people would be there, forcing people away from highly popular nodes.

Hope this does happen, it would make good gathers highly valuable. Also could make certain end mats even more expensive as less people could sit on popular node areas and farm the raw mats. Just gotta wait and see :D

-Phen

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
i believe henrik mentioned the old node system is gone, mining/woodcutting will happen at actual rocks/trees and they go away once mined out (respawn time unknown).

-barcode
I really do hope the trees fall and have to regrow. That is so much much more immersive when games do that. Not so much with rocks that do that unless we could actually dig into the ground to find such rocks. Which I am more than positive will be far beyond their scope.

Glad to hear they are at least looking into ways to change it. It would be a shame if it was one of the things they just transferred over as is.

Reactions: Zbuciorn

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
One thing I would really like to be more possible this time is for players to be able to find more places where they can mine as a group. It is a mmo after all and actual mining is normally not a solo activity. It would be nice to have more opportunities to work together and socialize while doing such things.

Having nodes/mines being more dynamic would make it where such places would have to be constantly scouted for instead of just being statistic locations that players just go to though.

Reactions: Eldrath

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
One thing I would really like to be more possible this time is for players to be able to find more places where they can mine as a group. It is a mmo after all and actual mining is normally not a solo activity. It would be nice to have more opportunities to work together and socialize while doing such things.

Having nodes/mines being more dynamic would make it where such places would have to be constantly scouted for instead of just being statistic locations that players just go to though.

Absolutely. This could actually tie in nicely with extraction camp and long timers - making it possible to transport and support while those appliance run. Or speed it up by operating them in some form of mini game.

It´s also a good way to give small groups that are highly organized an edge over zerg guilds.

• Haha
Reactions: Phen

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
It´s also a good way to give small groups that are highly organized an edge over zerg guilds.

Oddly here zerg groups will still take over, especially if we can see a tree fall in the distance. The nice part would be spotting gathering from a far. Though this gives the zerg or heavy PvP people lots more to look for and the gatherers have to really watch themselves. Honestly, finding a group gathering feels like a jackpot imo. ?

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
Oddly here zerg groups will still take over, especially if we can see a tree fall in the distance. The nice part would be spotting gathering from a far. Though this gives the zerg or heavy PvP people lots more to look for and the gatherers have to really watch themselves. Honestly, finding a group gathering feels like a jackpot imo. ?

I´m not too worried about that. The more organized you are the more efficiently can you get shit done.

So we have a good node in the middle of nowhere and 5 players decide to go for it. They start a say 4 hours operation, which nets them enough steel for 5-10 weapons each. If they get attacked by a bigger group they should be able to fight them off for a time and safe as much as they can. Since all of those 5 character will be able to fight there is no awkward switching of accounts or dual client bullshit going on.

If they pull the whole thing off they will be able to bank their gains and take on the bigger guild at an opportune time.

Here the bigger world, hopefully decentralized extraction and teamwork can really make a difference. The risk basically stays the same, but the rewards increase.

Hopefully they work on what is visible and what is not. Just wandering aimlessly around the map looking for fights is one of the reasons for player killing. If you were to focus interest points and players have the ability to find them they won´t care as much about the odd noob picking flowers.

Reactions: Amadman and Dracu

Dominulf

Aug 2, 2020
Harvesting the individual object (like a tree) that falls would be soo cool.

The brush/forest is soo dense with maxed out graphics ???

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.

Yeah, the dedicated fighter groups will always have an advantage since they put so much more time in fighting.

But with everyone at least having fighting skills a group of miners and extractors will have more of a fighting chance than a solo worker of the past. At the very least single gankers and smaller pk groups could possibly think twice before attacking a group of geared workers.

Reactions: Dominulf