Suggestion To Buff Mages. (Yes i know)

Shinnull

Apr 9, 2021
So here few Suggestions to buff mages, as of right now mages damage not even come into 50% close of dps to any other weapon melee or bows

now you can buff it in few ways for example concentration when maxed out should have 100% interruption immunity exclude interruption spells like Spurt.

the reason is mage can't even fight wolves as they attack faster then you can cast and you just get interrupted and die even if you will get damaged by 1 you will die by a wolf.

2nd option is mounted mages cast time should not be longer then on foot as even mounted archers with shortbow can do better with no mounted archery. or make that magic cannot be interrupted if you change direction on a horse while casting.

TLDR

mages need some sort of buff its not all about damage for mages but those mechanic makes mages really weak for all i care interruption immunity exlcude interruption specific spells or pushes with melee would make mages much more fun and enjoyable.

Comment if you think i am correct or incorrect...
please no toxicity against mages in here Thank you for your time reading it!

Last edited:

AssassinOTL

Mar 23, 2021
I 100% agree there is no reason that they really need to cripple the class so much, it legit makes no sense that the class is the least played and it's obvious. The class is on crutches in it's current state, it cant be Sufficient. And most of it's class's advanced schools are in the Hard dungeons where Mages lack power and survivability. If you're a fat mage, you can't use your horse. and if you pull agro you're pretty much dead.

Mages need an overahaul, but it seems that they are distracted right now and only Melee is getting fixed, Archery got looked at, Pets are getting worked on, and Mages have seen no real changes in any of the patches other than schools being worked on and the core problems are not being looked at.
my suggestion is that Henrik and Sebastian play mages when the new school is out, and go out in the world and really test it, Play Pvp and Play PvE and really feel what you made, and tell me if it feels good to you, if not fix it, it's broken

AssassinOTL

Mar 23, 2021
Another Idea is to do with Magic what they did with Archery, a Hybrid whould take a lot longer to charge spells, i'm talking 100% longer charging times similar to Archery, or Increase the Fizzle Skill range, i think half the problem with the class is that the Devs are afraid that the Melee class will be able to use magic a lot faster, this can be easily fixed by raising Skill ranges into the 90s and above for anything other than Lesser heals, Corruption, and basic light damage spells, the other spells should have a minimum requirement of 80 and above to insure that the character is a dedicated mage, not a Hybrid trying to abuse the new changes to magic

also some more range for the RANGE class couldnt hurt honestly

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: PoisonArrows

George

Apr 4, 2021
I agree. I feel like mages currently work quite well in group fights 10+ people but that is currently the only place they work which is not a good situation. For mages to have any use outside of team fights they have to be with people or have a Strong pet. A strong pet is a 300+ point investment. And if you want to travel anywhere of significant distance that means leaving your pet behind. Most of the people i know with pure mages feel like they HAVE to have a second account to get anything done when there friends are not around. For example on my melee fighter i can go to graveyard and grind almost indefinitely until i hit 20/20 clades in a few hours. On my mage its a serious effort to do so (not to mention expensive as to do any real dmg you are tlashing with your fulmns.) Meanwhile melee 1 hits zombies with emalj maul or axe with no mana cost. This is only exacerbated when you fight something with a bit more hp (risars) and come persistance grinding clade levels on a mage is going to be hell (unless a mage school seriously fixes this issue). Another thing to note is that while doing this the melee char is wearing serious heavy armor and has the ability to block incoming attacks directly after attacking. Two forms of damage reduction that the mage simply doesnt have

Reactions: AssassinOTL

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Mages can 1v1 3 out of the 4 clades in the game open world every time. Dont need a pet, you play a hitscan class that hits for 50s through armor at a distance. A fulm and Tlash the enemy just took 2/3rd their health reguardless if they were naked up to cronite. Veela fat mages run as fast as most stout or fit builds. You can use a shield to block while running which can allow you to get a channel off. You can corrupt to prevent healing as well while being able to heal your self quickly. Mages need very little gear if not they can play naked and pay less then 1 gold to start fighting. Only really needing some cuprum or maybe coal to do some higher level spells.

Mages are Broken, broken good even with ecumenical which is the support school of magic and not the school mean for solo play.

Mages are bad at PvE solo I would agree.

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
Mages can 1v1 3 out of the 4 clades in the game open world every time. Dont need a pet, you play a hitscan class that hits for 50s through armor at a distance. A fulm and Tlash the enemy just took 2/3rd their health reguardless if they were naked up to cronite. Veela fat mages run as fast as most stout or fit builds. You can use a shield to block while running which can allow you to get a channel off. You can corrupt to prevent healing as well while being able to heal your self quickly. Mages need very little gear if not they can play naked and pay less then 1 gold to start fighting. Only really needing some cuprum or maybe coal to do some higher level spells.

Mages are Broken, broken good even with ecumenical which is the support school of magic and not the school mean for solo play.

Mages are bad at PvE solo I would agree.
You're playing out a perfect scenario against an unskilled player. Would you be willing to make a little montage of you 1v1ing somewhat skilled players to show everyone what you're talking about just so we can all see how easy it is?

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
Mages do not need buffed. They just need to be a second character. That is how the system is designed, and all of the attempts that have been made to change that have been overpowered and balance breaking. Two examples being necro pets, and elemental spells.
If they truly want one to be able to play a mage as their only character they will need to rebuild the entire system.

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
Until they rework magery so it's fun and comparable to melee or archery for going out and killing basic stuff...not necessarily players, it'll always be a poor choice for your single character. The mechanics of the whole system are at odds with the basic mechanics of killing regular animals or bandits/risars/ whatever mob, and there's no excuse for this, it makes the game so much less enjoyable and practical for a lot of potential players who would prefer to play a mage.
They insist ecumenical is the base school...and with that you get these janky feeling mechanics that make regular farming so much worse than just equipping your worn short sword and having a go at a mob. This has been bemoaned many times over the years...but they don't learn or don't listen...or just plain disagree I guess...but I think they sell themselves short a ton by doing this.
IMO they should look at other FPS type games that have done magic well, where it feels fun and impactful like melee can feel in this game, and design something simple around that, and just put it in the game.

DF magic was fun, projectiles and rays and casting on the move felt good, skill shots and all...keep ecumenical hitscan if they wanna be stubborn about it, but add a basic school of spells you can use straight away that makes use of good and fun gameplay mechanics. Make it use physical defenses like blunt/slash/pierce that we already have to balance out the dmg Against players.

Let the dmg type and amount be augmented in someway by reagents, use higher tier reagents to do more dmg of a given type using existing materials...if they would just think outside the box they could quickly and easily solve this 10 yr old issue and give us something that is far more appealing and engaging for not only those of us who have always been dissatisfied with what we've been stuck with, but also all the new people who will want to try magery when the game launches but will quickly quit because this old system feels like trash and isn't usable on its own for basic gameplay loops.

Piet

May 28, 2020
Mounted mages were crippled by the Int scale change not that they cast slower. As for 100% unable to interrupt maybe but I think it's more of a they changed how mages work and play. You cannot be an unarmed mage which doesn't make sense because they built it so you can cast better with unarmed. Also right now mages just can't pve and idk how that could be changed or if it even should. Mages have always relied on others as support but since it's your only character now you just feel it more.

Shinnull

Apr 9, 2021
another suggestion is! change man a regen to be scaled on psyche like 100 psyche should give 10 mana regen
we need psy curve to be based on mana regen or do anything beside max mana and magic protection

AssassinOTL

Mar 23, 2021
You're playing out a perfect scenario against an unskilled player. Would you be willing to make a little montage of you 1v1ing somewhat skilled players to show everyone what you're talking about just so we can all see how easy it is?

It’s just to be noted he’s playing melee now. I don’t think he can make that video. Yeah I don’t think anyone in the thread could agree with that statement when even the CEO stated they can’t do that. But video evidence to back that up would be nice. I mean melee can 1vx and mage can’t handle AI. I agree that the system needs to be rebuilt thank you all for the honest feedback to help the Dev team understand and for good suggestions.

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
Mages being a support character is fine. But like others have said, nobody wants their ONE character to be a support character who cannot go and farm anything efficiently because they have minimum strength (cant carry hardly anything) and they use mana which is obviously so much slower and more expensive than killing with a melee weapon. Of course a new magic school could 100% fix this...but I can tell you necromancy isn't going to be it. Mages being able to do these simple gameplay mechanics should be in at launch. Otherwise you're gonna have a lot of upset people who complain and just not play the game...

I still think we need 2 character slots. I've said it from the beginning...make crafting skills account wide if you want us to be limited to the 1200 points...but we need more than one combat character. I think just one is really just a setup for failure. I hope to be proven wrong...

Reactions: Rorry and cerqo

cerqo

Mar 17, 2021
Yeah, i don't expect any of my guildmates to dedicate their one and only character slot to play a mage, and the fact that mages cannot solo PvE is absolutely hurting the whole mage population in the game on top of shoehorning everyone into just rolling the best meta builds. Honestly limiting everyone to 1 single character was a pretty trash move by SV, I have a hard time even choosing 1 single warrior build to play and already have 2 accounts, I respect the people who choose to dedicate their only char slot to play a mage considering how inconvenient it is.

What mages absolutely do NOT need are PvP buffs to make them able to "1v1", fatmages are braindead enough, when the whole mage system is reworked so the playstyle actually requires any form of risk, then they can start looking into changing how it works in PvP, but then again all of that is simply out of SV's reach with the resources they have, otherwise they would have already done it when they made this magic system, at this point it's just a direct port over from MO1.

IMO just make it so they can actually do something in PvE, I mean its pretty fucking simple, just make it so NPCs cannot interrupt spells and increase spell damage on NPCs by double or triple.

Reactions: Shinnull

Speznat

May 28, 2020
Tindrem
wolfszeit.online
Mages being a support character is fine. But like others have said, nobody wants their ONE character to be a support character who cannot go and farm anything efficiently because they have minimum strength (cant carry hardly anything) and they use mana which is obviously so much slower and more expensive than killing with a melee weapon. Of course a new magic school could 100% fix this...but I can tell you necromancy isn't going to be it. Mages being able to do these simple gameplay mechanics should be in at launch. Otherwise you're gonna have a lot of upset people who complain and just not play the game...

I still think we need 2 character slots. I've said it from the beginning...make crafting skills account wide if you want us to be limited to the 1200 points...but we need more than one combat character. I think just one is really just a setup for failure. I hope to be proven wrong...
DOnt forget the veteran system that is coming maybe we all have chance to skill a other tree inside cities instandly. I dont know what henrik thought about the veteran system but it can actually change a lot. I think we should wait before we judge combat skills limits. Im not sure if its the right way. But we need to wait first.

Reactions: Shinnull and Kokolo

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
DOnt forget the veteran system that is coming maybe we all have chance to skill a other tree inside cities instandly. I dont know what henrik thought about the veteran system but it can actually change a lot. I think we should wait before we judge combat skills limits. Im not sure if its the right way. But we need to wait first.
Wait how long though? They are planning persistent release in less than 2 months.
This will be an instant issue when the game goes up for sale, potentially turning away potential customers.

Speznat

May 28, 2020
Tindrem
wolfszeit.online
Wait how long though? They are planning persistent release in less than 2 months.
This will be an instant issue when the game goes up for sale, potentially turning away potential customers.
I still dont think that persistance will hit in 2 months. I mean yes would be awesome for us all and i would really like to get it in 2 months.

But with the features missing and the bugs will scare a lot of people away. and that would be sad. So I really hope that star vault take there time and make it better. I mean alone the bugged ai are a huge problem. I mean it will be not that bad like it was in 2015.
But i think it will be bad if its in that state in 2 months.

Let hope for the best. That they get everything fixed in 2 months.

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
They don't need to do persistent in 2 months. At least give it till the end of the year. There are still so many very important issues that need to be addressed.

PoisonArrows

Aug 7, 2020
My idea Buff
So here few Suggestions to buff mages, as of right now mages damage not even come into 50% close of dps to any other weapon melee or bows

now you can buff it in few ways for example concentration when maxed out should have 100% interruption immunity exclude interruption spells like Spurt.

the reason is mage can't even fight wolves as they attack faster then you can cast and you just get interrupted and die even if you will get damaged by 1 you will die by a wolf.

2nd option is mounted mages cast time should not be longer then on foot as even mounted archers with shortbow can do better with no mounted archery. or make that magic cannot be interrupted if you change direction on a horse while casting.

TLDR

mages need some sort of buff its not all about damage for mages but those mechanic makes mages really weak for all i care interruption immunity exlcude interruption specific spells or pushes with melee would make mages much more fun and enjoyable.

Comment if you think i am correct or incorrect...
please no toxicity against mages in here Thank you for your time reading it!
I was going to write that Concentration should be buffed but you covered it already. I Agree lv100 Concentration at 40% doesn't even make sense. I think part of the reason for Mages being weak is that the devs probably think pets are part of the build. Ecumenical Spells needs to be leveled up before you can obtain Domination so that says something about the devs thoughts on this, Necromancers and Elementalist can each summon their own pets, Spiritism Pets are reviving their allies xD With all that being said i agree with your above points. If a Archer fires on you with short bow they can interrupt you a lot and out damage you and long bow can deal up to 90 damage is highest i have seen... Haha. I don't think most people have my build but i have highest Int in game and even my Fulmination only deals 80 damage with it's best damage roll. Mages do need buffed, people always argue they can't be buffed because they ignore armor. But in a 1v1 a Mage loses to a Mounted Archer pretty easily. And a mage without a pet or horse loses to a foot fighter. So the idea they ignore armor doesn't matter unless you get like a group of 3 mages to instantly kill a foot fighter with 3 fire strikes before he reacts XD