We Need More Action Skill Points

Weathermore

Apr 5, 2021
Right now it is incredibly hard to build certain characters, such as mage/tamer, and points are very tight. As they add new skills, this will only get worst. Here are some suggestions for how they could increase the number of possible builds:

1. 100 Action Skill Points across the board to equal profession points

2. "Free" skill point clades standardized to 50 skill points given for parent skill. There's a big discrepancy at the moment with these clades. Human combat maneuvering is a 1st tier clade, and gives 50 points. The new Thursar endurace clade is a tier 3 clade and gives TEN (10) points, which is a joke comparatively and a total waste of clade. So make all 1-skill clade give +50 to the skill.

3. Allow free clade gifts to also effect sub-parent skills. If we take the +50 approach above, this would need to be adjusted more than likely. There are many examples of this. Riding could effect mounted archery / mounted combat. Bow skill for alvarin could effect all sub-bow skills. Thievery clade for humans all thievery. Magic school clade effects all magic. Etc, etc. To balance out, either make just the parent +50, or make all the abilities in the line +20.

4. Adjust certain abilities to be secondaries instead of primaries. A few that come to mind are Herding, which could be a secondary sub under Advanced CC. Resistance swimming could lose survival as a parent, so that people can at least not drown all the time without survival (but still couldnt hold breath for any amount of time.) Veterinary should be a non-primary under Anatomy. Controlled aiming & aiming technique not be tiered, so that people can decide to just have the sway removed instead of stam drain removed. Poleaxes made their own skill set to not require 200 skill points. Mental training should become a secondary, and mental focus become a primary, so that casters can choose one or the other (or mental offense made secondary).

5. Certain skill thresholds lowered to 50 instead of 100. Multiple skills listed above could be candidates for this.

Any number of these options would greatly increase our build options when making a new character.

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
need swift riding under riding to make the game accessible to everyone so all you need is 50 creature control to play the game.
there a veteran points, lets see what they do.

• Angry
Reactions: Bicorps

Weathermore

Apr 5, 2021
need swift riding under riding to make the game accessible to everyone so all you need is 50 creature control to play the game.

This was actually overall fixed with the most recent patch. Gear 2 now regens stamina even without swift riding. With swift riding, gear 3 stamina is lowered & gear 2 regen is increased.

Reactions: Tzone

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
This was actually overall fixed with the most recent patch. Gear 2 now regens stamina even without swift riding. With swift riding, gear 3 stamina is lowered & gear 2 regen is increased.
yes thats very good news for the big map and im pretty sure you still need it to outrun a Mounted Combat at a safe range which is my biggest concern for the health of the game.

Weathermore

Apr 5, 2021
yes thats very good news for the big map and im pretty sure you still need it to outrun a Mounted Combat at a safe range which is my biggest concern for the health of the game.

I mean, this overall is a risk vs. reward type scenario. The times swift riding will save you versus you dying anyway to the other mounted player is going to be like 0. The primary issue was that travel was impossible without it. That's no longer true. Also mounted archer is the bigger concern for ganking, not mounted combat. I highly doubt swift riding becomes a secondary skill above controlled riding. Need to just see what the new mounts stats look like.

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
I mean, this overall is a risk vs. reward type scenario. The times swift riding will save you versus you dying anyway to the other mounted player is going to be like 0. The primary issue was that travel was impossible without it. That's no longer true. Also mounted archer is the bigger concern for ganking, not mounted combat. I highly doubt swift riding becomes a secondary skill above controlled riding. Need to just see what the new mounts stats look like.
i mean with mounted combat all mounted classes. if you dont have swift riding, you get outstammed when the chase starts at a normal visible range.
if they dont put swift riding under riding, the 1char idea is broken even more.

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
If mounted fighting classes and mounts get buffed, every character will have to have mounted fighting/riding skills to survive and compete. This has always been one of the strongest arguments against the 1 character design.

D

Deleted member 44

I agree with the OP. The game is far to restrictive on what you CAN and CAN'T do by requiring too many primaries. I'm not really sure what their goal is with the current system. Feels like they are just emulating UO without basis.

Bicorps

Jun 27, 2020

what you are saying is you NEED to be mounted to play the game.... what MO have become ... such a shame. Very bad map design.

Reactions: Zbuciorn

Draug

May 22, 2021
Sverige
www.vikingsonshrooms.com
I disagree, we don't need more skillpoints.

Hybrids are the hardest class to play, and they should be, because you are sacrificing one thing for another. MO2 is designed around team constellations, it's not a solo game. even if you don't join a guild, you either need to work with other strangers or arrange a network of business partners.

Reactions: Kokolo

Kokolo

May 3, 2021
I disagree too. Or at least I will hold my judgement until veteran points are implemented as @Bernfred said. Rather than changing the amount of points I prefer tweaking game mechanich as they do now.

People should feel rewarded for going all in on mounted combat for example. It should feel like you are better at riding and more powerful than you would be otherwise in that role. When going hybrid you choose which aspects of the individual builds you are interested in. Maybe you choose to only pump heals on your fighting pets, or maybe you choose to be a mage with a low level pet that can take some heat off of you. The important thing is that you have to choose, and you recieve rewards and penalties accordingly. That makes the game special for me at least.

EDIT: that being said, a couple of extra points from the veteran system as they hinted could just be enought and balanced for most people.

Weathermore

Apr 5, 2021
If mounted fighting classes and mounts get buffed, every character will have to have mounted fighting/riding skills to survive and compete. This has always been one of the strongest arguments against the 1 character design.

My solution, increased action skill points, allows footfighter characters to also have some mounted abilities while not having to be less powerful on land (giving up stances, for example).

@Draug regarding 'hybrid is hard', the issue is that the specializations often make the game unplayable for solo characters. It's absurd to think that anyone will be playing this game all the time in a group setting.

Additionally, we are only going to see MORE skills added. What feels good now will feel like no points when there are 5 magic schools, veterinary, when you realize how OP potion utilization is, etc.

They've already discussed how veteran skills work. It's 100 points (1 skill) in either action or profession. Henrik has said this is going to require 100 points spent in a crafting profession, and the implication is that it's 100 points in an ability that lets you mastercraft (so refiners, alchemists, etc, may not get it). It seems like it's meant to be an option for characters to go to 100 in those crafts instead of 70, to get more points overall. We'll have to see final implementation honestly. I'd rather vet points just be something that gave you, like, 5-10 more skill points to spend each month subscribed up to 100 points in each tree.

Reactions: Rorry