Guide for a Hybrid between Mounted Combat and a Footfighter

Konrad

Feb 24, 2021
Ireland
I just got back to MO and besides besides checking everything out, I made my old standard build of Veela Veela and started theory building, there are 4 skills there that we have to consider for ma build 2 skills for 10 STR requirement reduction for bows, 1 skill for extra archery skill and 1 skill for free vitalism skill ALSO I heard yesterday that BIGBOY characters will be unable to mount every horse or something like that, ok considering the veela veela build we start with: 84 STR +5 STR from stout = 89 STR + 20 str req. reduction and we got 109 STR for bows and some other free stuff that will certainly help. I don't know if develepors are giving us a hint with the changes to the mounted system or they really want veelas to be running around with bows, either way I think I'm happy considering I was always using bows as a Vela back in the day, problem was I always needed lower STR req bows putting me at a dissadvantage.
Anyways I will be doing more testing and theory crafting towards that, 1 character per account is a bit annoying and I would hate to be stuck with only the foot warrior in this crazy big world.
PS I know for a fact there are/will be better and stronger builds for MA but when we think of a hybrid it may just work, don't know gotta test

Last edited:
Reactions: Anabolic Man

Konrad

Feb 24, 2021
Ireland
Veela Veela
STR 89 (+5 from stout) +20STR req. reduction for bows with effective 109STR for bows
DEX 115 (+4)(-5stout)
CON 100
INT 71(+4) (int can be changed for psy at a small loss of skill points I think to gain small magic dmg red. but I guess I need skill points more)
PSY 10

1.Anatomy 93+7=100
2.Sprinting 89+11=100
3.Balance 84+16=100
4.Combat Manouvering 89+11=100
5.Armor Training 87+13=100
6.Heavy Armor Training 50+13=73 ????
8.Archery 67+33=100
9.Mounted archery 89+11=100
10.Controlled Riding 84+16=100
11.Vitalism 83+17=100
12. Creature control 93+7=100 ???
??908?? TOTAL used points?
Optionals: ???

Melee option
Swords 85+13=100
Aggresive +8 = about 107 points divided between the 2 ???
Defensive +10 =
Swords/spears 87+13=100 or axes/clubs87+13=100 or daggers 89+11=100

or bows only:
with Aiming technique / controlled aiming and marksmanship around 64 to 68 points each?
with amining technique +11 free
controlled aiming +11 free
marksmanship +15 free

This is my first approach on this after a LOOOONG break from MO completely, I don't really remember which skills have to be max, which not and where to save points to lets say put a minimum lvl of swimming, I have never played a hybrid either so yeah, don't be too harsh on me I'm just trying to have an idea of what we can do with the new system and play with the theory.
General idea is to have an effective hybrid of a foot warior with MA, MC would be useless considering we only got 89 STR here so I don't even think about it. Technically bows only should work considering how bloody fast this character will be, have a look at the new skills and you will know what I mean lol.

pls no hate : DD

Reactions: Anabolic Man

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Full Veela MA is a nice option in that if the mount goes down it can continue serving the role of a kiter archer. My only major critique of the build is I think heavy armor training is a bit excessive. Full Veelas don't want to wear armor that decreases stam regen and based on the testing I've done that threshold is 15-16kg no matter how much armor weight your build is capable of.

I can't say for sure at what armor training you can wear 15kg armor. But that's probably a good level of armor training to cut it at.

That said, you COULD go for full heavy armor as an MA. But if that was my intent I'd go Huergar or Kallard and commit more heavily to being a pure MA or else make melee my thing when the mount dies, since mobility, when your mount dies, is the main point of your build it seems.

Konrad

Feb 24, 2021
Ireland
Full Veela MA is a nice option in that if the mount goes down it can continue serving the role of a kiter archer. My only major critique of the build is I think heavy armor training is a bit excessive. Full Veelas don't want to wear armor that decreases stam regen and based on the testing I've done that threshold is 15-16kg no matter how much armor weight your build is capable of.

I can't say for sure at what armor training you can wear 15kg armor. But that's probably a good level of armor training to cut it at.

That said, you COULD go for full heavy armor as an MA. But if that was my intent I'd go Huergar or Kallard and commit more heavily to being a pure MA or else make melee my thing when the mount dies, since mobility, when your mount dies, is the main point of your build it seems.

To be honest I put the heavy armour training as a completely random number (as I completely forgot what its meant to be and haven't tested yet), I played VeelaVeela as my main character since the begining till the end, and in most cases having any heavy heavy armour was placing me in a dissadvantage as I always tried to get the full speed and get on mages quickly, but in very big fights or sieges I was usually putting on steel helmet and torso sometimes legs too, as speed didn't matter that much anymore and being able to tank that 2 or even 1 more hit matters. I'm thinking in similiar way towards the MA build I'm thinking right now and plan to reduce the heavy armor training to be able to just wear maybe 3 steel pieces and molarium as rest or something like after some testing. Don't worry though you will 100% see me in molarium 99% of the time anyway lmao

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
I dropped Endurence to 0. You will have no passive Regeneration (heals arroudn 10 HP or so every 30 Sec) (still have to be tested)
You will have 17 less Stamina (tested on Ogmir) 364 instead of 381 Stamina with no Endurence

I dropped aggressive stance and defencive stance
This make a huge difference ! You reveive 18-20 % more damage with 0 Defencivestance and you gain 18-20 % more damage from agressivestance !

This means you should put the remaining points into 80 Aggressive stances and 80 Defencive Stance !

After the Tests i would make the Build like this

1. Controlled Riding 100
2. Mounted combat 100
3. Hammers 100
4. Secondary Weapon Skill 100
5. Aggresive stances 80
6. Defensive stances 80
7. Sprinting 100
8. Combat Manovering 100
9. Armor trainning 88
10. Heavy armor trainning 0 (removed not needed)
11. Anatomy 100
12.Blocking 0
13.Endurence 0
14.Animal Care 0

15. Balance 100
16. Creature Controll 65

87 Points left

Can be put in more Armor Training, Blocking, Animal care, or Taming
Endurence seems not worth it.

1 Character of the group should go for Animaltaming instead of blocking/more Armor Training (in the case some mounts have died) and you want to tame new horses for the way back to your base and for the beginning of the game, to tame your horses, till you get the perfect mounts for breeding.

Drawbacks

That means you always have to parry, and blocking will cost you more Stamina while running.
88 Armor training limit you to wear Ironbone Platearmor + Steel Torso in MO 2
65 Creature Controll Limit the Level of you Horse to lvl 88 Bullhorse (tested in MO1) (Have to be tested in MO2)
80 Def and Agressive Stance will make you receive 3.6 more Damage and you will deal 3.6 % less Damage (tested in MO2)

Last edited:

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
In MO1 Aggressive stance (I think it was aggressive, not defensive) did not have any affect when you were mounted.

Also in MO1 a level 88 horse wasn't good enough to be competitive as an MC. In MO2 it remains to be seen. Level 75 Creature control let you have a 125 bull horse, though.

Did you test 0 blocking? Does it really not have any negative affect if you parry? I thought it cost more stam to parry as well, and that you would take damage even if you parry. I could be wrong as I never tested.

Rhias

May 28, 2020
In MO1 Aggressive stance (I think it was aggressive, not defensive) did not have any affect when you were mounted.

Also in MO1 a level 88 horse wasn't good enough to be competitive as an MC. In MO2 it remains to be seen. Level 75 Creature control let you have a 125 bull horse, though.

Did you test 0 blocking? Does it really not have any negative affect if you parry? I thought it cost more stam to parry as well, and that you would take damage even if you parry. I could be wrong as I never tested.
Dropped blocking to 0 yesterday. Parry does still 0 dmg. Blocking endurance is a subskill, so it also drops to 0 and I drain more stam when blocking. But with light armor it's still ok.

Reactions: Rorry

Rhias

May 28, 2020
It does not cost STamina if you parry a hit, only during the startup of the Block.
It does, but when standing still you regen faster than it drains.
But when not having full stamina and starting to block you will notice that you slower regenerate to full compared to not blocking...

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
I could not notice any drop in Stamina, when i was standing still. I have to test that further while moving. Thx for the tip. I always waste my Stamina too much and have to back up a lot of times, if the fight is too long, becuase i have low stamina at the end of the fight, and moving with less then 60 % health drop stamina aswell. I duel with 0 Blocking and 0 Endurence to test it out. I have to compare this once more with a chatacter that have 100 Skillpoints in Blocking. Hope it get all balanced. I even stam out too much when i have 100 blocking. I think it´s my playstyle. I think it is very important that this Hybrid between MC and Foorfighter will be as viable as possible, becuase we have only 1 Character.

I am fine with doing less damage receiving a bit more damage, using a lower lvl Horse and lighter Armor, but somehow i want more stamina to make fency moves, jumping Overheads to get a bit more rerach and Stuff like that, but the most important are the Groupfights and not the duels. You sometimes need to parry several people and want to get back to your team, if you have overextanded, and low blocking will make you loose stamina faster. Groupfights are more stamina consuming.

Dropping argessive stances and defencive STances to lower then 80 seems bad. The damage and defencive Bonuses are huge

I hope the Clade Gift for Hammers will be 20 Skillpoints. Those are not working atm, to test it out. This would allow me to get 30 Blocking with the additional Skillpoints from the attributes, and i could go for 90 Sword to get 40 Blocking.

I guess 90 Swords will make me loose less damage as 10 less Skillpoints in Agressive Stances, but i have to test that out.

Last edited:

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
Having Defensive stance at 100 only allows you to take 1 more hit or less before you die while on foot (depending on how hard you get hit obviously.) When you keep that in perspective it might not be worth spending points on, certainly not at the cost of stamina or damage output. That might change if it interacts somehow while you are mounted to protect your mount from damage, if it puts you below the damage threshold for being dismounted, for instance.
In MO1 dropping blocking for a mounted was an easy choice for me, an American. In MO2 it isn't.

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
Does Endurence make your Stamina drain faster, independent of the 17 less max stamina ?

Test with full endurence 100 Skill and 100 Blocking with a Character that have 364 Stamina

Neutral running time till you depleated all Stamina

1.29 Sec
1.30 Sec
1.30 sec
1.30 sec

Combat running time till you depleated all Stamina

1.07 test 1
1.07 test 2
1.08 test 3

Time to regen Stamina in Combatmode

18 sec
18 sec
18 sec

run while blocking with 364 Stamina (with 100 Blocking)

50 sec running while blocking
48 sec running while blocking
48 sec runnign while blocking
49 sec running while blocking

Test with 15 Endurence (from Bonuspoints) with a character that have 364 Stamina
Test with 15 Blocking (from Bonuspoints)

Neutral running

Combat running

regen combatmode

19 sec
19 sec
19 sec
19 sec

Runnign while blocking with 15 Blocking

31 sec
32 sec
31 sec

Conclusion.

0 Endurence not make you drain Stamina faster. You just get 17 more Stamina and the access to passive Regeneration and the ability to learn Swimming

0 Blocking will cost you much more Stamina while running while blocking.

If your build not allow to skill Blocking and Endurence i recommend to drop Endurence over Blocking.

Last edited:
Reactions: bubbles