Increase appeal to larger audience

Rhias

May 28, 2020
Good point. Even dying CAPES, banners, armor would help ALOT. I am not a MO vet. Will we get capes, etc dying with guild emblems???

So far it doesn't look like it. But it would be great! I would like dyable armor and/or capes 10000x more than a party system with artificial highlighting.

Reactions: Bicorps

Necromantic

Jun 9, 2020
Capes with custom emblems has been a plan at some point, not sure if that's still something they want to do.
I wonder how easy it would be to have a dying system, now that they have materials reflected in the look of armor.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
This game goes to such great lengths to create and preserve immersion. If there are custom emblems on capes I hope they have very strict rules on what is and isn't allowed. It may be easier to have an in-game generator.

The last thing I want to see is someone running around with some hideous logo that looks like a modern sports team emblem with their guild name written on it. Or worse, a half-naked loli or some similar trash. Any logo allowed in-game should be strictly required to fit the setting. That means a logo that fits into a medieval world.

Reactions: Rhias

Necromantic

Jun 9, 2020
Look at peoples in-game names, that's already ruined. :p
I'd assume there would be some kind of admission process anyway, or at least a review.

Bicorps

Jun 27, 2020
Good point. Even dying CAPES, banners, armor would help ALOT. I am not a MO vet. Will we get capes, etc dying with guild emblems???

Basically MO1 had 10 different piece of armor... and MO2 have 5 if im not mistaken. There was also a bunch of different texture depending on the material you crafted your armor. So the chance people look exactly the same was very low. There was also more armor recipe.

For the capes there was the Basic one, they were base on "Race" that live in the nave. like "Veela" cape or "Thursar" Cape. You needed to sub 10 month to get 10 veteran point for 1 cape... or buy it from another player for around 200-800gold depending the Gold value. They released some Guild cape later on which ad a little contest on the Forum if i remember. Some pretty good looking cape customized by the community. They ended by added some Cape you would get in "Season Quest".

The banners was pretty shitty im not gonna lie, because it was pretty sketchy to wear it into a team fight(More easy to get identify and Focus @Callout).
But we had some great moment... at least in my guild... all wearing stupid dye Pink Banners roaming around for PvP. It was still an option we had which is cool.

Eventually it will get in the game. Im just a bit scared of the speed of the development tho. If they cant copy/past most of MO1 i dont know how they gonna add all these feature. For now they have a path of development to follow if they want release the game on date. The feature they are working on right now is basically to make a POINT to the game. Most of the problem of videogame these days is they dont have any point really...Fun game until its not fun anymore it become pointless. That why all the basic core feature + TC is important to have at release so people will stay(at least a certain % of the guilds).

So yeah... they cant really work on random things because they are short on time, and they are probably short on time because of money.
Releasing = money , Money that can be reinvest into the platform or smoked bacon.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
In-game names are something I can tolerate. Anime girls on people's capes are something that would entirely ruin one of the most major selling points of this game for me.

Wesley Snipes

May 28, 2020
MO2 just isn't made to appeal to larger audiences. It's an an extreme niche game, and those audiences tend to shrink usually, not grow. It's a game mired in annoyances and inconveniences for good and/or for worse.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
If EVE hadn't succeeded, it would surely be called a niche MMO. Definitely, games do need to find their purple cow. (A marketing term for products and features that draw people's attention by being different than what you would find elsewhere.) And I wouldn't even say that's a statement restricted to indie MMOs. I think part of the reason MMOs as a genre as a whole have lost so much ground is people are tired of feeling like they are playing the same game over, and over, and over.

New, fresh ideas, done differently than we've ever seen before are precisely what the market needs. MO2 isn't lacking in freshness/uniqueness. But I do think to be a successful title they should define what the core features of their game are (and I think they kind of have already done this) ensure they stay true to those features, and then do their best to make it as palatable to as wide of an audience as possible while sticking to their guns on the core features that make them different.

Not saying these ideas in specific are actually what is needed to make this game palatable to a greater audience. Just that the idea of appealing to a large audience isn't something any MMO should shy away from so long as it's unique vision isn't lost in the process. And if it's unique vision doesn't allow for somewhat of a wider audience then the game is probably a bad idea.

I think the core features of Mortal Online (Hardcore full loot PvP, forced first-person / focus on realism and immersion, non-targeted authentic feeling combat, depth in crafting) have a huge potential audience if they are delivered and marketed properly.

Last edited:

BlackOpsy

Dec 4, 2020
If EVE hadn't succeeded, it would surely be called a niche MMO. Definitely, games do need to find their purple cow. (A marketing term for products and features that draw people's attention by being different than what you would find elsewhere.) And I wouldn't even say that's a statement restricted to indie MMOs. I think part of the reason MMOs as a genre as a whole have lost so much ground is people are tired of feeling like they are playing the same game over, and over, and over.

New, fresh ideas, done differently than we've ever seen before are precisely what the market needs. MO2 isn't lacking in freshness/uniqueness. But I do think to be a successful title they should define what the core features of their game are (and I think they kind of have already done this) ensure they stay true to those features, and then do their best to make it as palatable to as wide of an audience as possible while sticking to their guns on the core features that make them different.

Not saying these ideas in specific are actually what is needed to make this game palatable to a greater audience. Just that the idea of appealing to a large audience isn't something any MMO should shy away from so long as it's unique vision isn't lost in the process. And if it's unique vision doesn't allow for somewhat of a wider audience then the game is probably a bad idea.

I think the core features of Mortal Online (Hardcore full loot PvP, forced first-person / focus on realism and immersion, non-targeted authentic feeling combat, depth in crafting) have a huge potential audience if they are delivered and marketed properly.

Bingo! The reason I put this thread is not for suggestions/features but how to make the hardcore-ness appeal to a slightly larger audience. SV said they want to capture more players. I am trying to help give 2c on a big turn off I see. Only VET players may disagree, but you are back to where you started with MO, a small player base..... I never said exactly how to fix or to change, but keeping the same but with a shiny paint/normalize goes a long way.... Also, I see imporant basic things missing, grouping isnt so bad IMO, better then ppl b+tching in comms every 5 sec etc. how is it real to comm with people across the city lol or world lol!

Speznat

May 28, 2020
Tindrem
wolfszeit.online
haha! Well I am just trying to point out the obvious on things that turn away people at first glance. Oh! You need 513 units for that sword... uhh why dood? LMAO....
its called grams. I know its hard for US person xD

sry wasnt ment as insult. But yeah it better for everything to use gramms becasuse for cooking and alchemy ans stuff its needed to be precise on stuff.
Same with high end mats liek Oghmium.

Gonzo

May 28, 2020

sry wasnt ment as insult. But yeah it better for everything to use gramms becasuse for cooking and alchemy ans stuff its needed to be precise on stuff.
Hey now, I'm American and can count to 10. 🤣

The numbers do make a lot of sense once you get to higher tier stuff.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Hey now, I'm American and can count to 10. 🤣

The numbers do make a lot of sense once you get to higher tier stuff.
You’re off on your reasoning by an alligator tail.

Alas I dream one day we won’t be washing machines apart on this topic

• Haha
Reactions: Gonzo

Necromantic

Jun 9, 2020

Things already have a weight in-game though and that's independent from units.

BlackOpsy

Dec 4, 2020
Things already have a weight in-game though and that's independent from units.

I agree, this makes things obscure. Part of why I brought up the numerical system. Now that I know they are grams it makes more sense. However, perhaps make it reflect imperial or metric depending on what country one resides from. Also, they should be consistent, at least say grams instead of units etc...

Reactions: Bicorps

Necromantic

Jun 9, 2020
I agree, this makes things obscure. Part of why I brought up the numerical system. Now that I know they are grams it makes more sense. However, perhaps make it reflect imperial or metric depending on what country one resides from. Also, they should be consistent, at least say grams instead of units etc...
They are not grams though, they are units of an item and completely unrelated to weight aside from the weight the item has per unit. The weight is the weight.

Last edited: