Characters are too "Chunky" - Poll

Do you think current Human and Thursar characters are too bulky/muscular for their strength stats?

• Yes

Votes: 19 82.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 17.4%

• Total voters

Valoran

May 28, 2020
With the most recent patch came the addition of character muscle mass changing due to weight and stats like strength.

Although this system is neat, I personally believe the amount of muscle on characters with an honestly quite average strength are simply far too bulky. Essentially every melee fighter will have strength in the range of 105-119, except for Alvarin.

Which means that everyone who wants to play a Human or Thursar warrior will be forced to look extremely large due to their stats.

This is a comparison image with an "unmade" character on the left, which I can only guess is perhaps representative of around 80-100 strength currently, and on the right is what he looks like when the 110 strength stat applies making him far bulkier:
DefaultVSCreated (1).jpg

I personally think the character on the left looks far better for the 110 strength range, as he is already absolutely massive and toned as far as humans go.

I am okay with having big and bulky characters possible within the game, but what I am against is forcing the average player to look like that due to optimal builds.

The problem gets worse when you factor in that the armor is not well fitted currently and makes you look even bulkier:
1610780673151.png1610806730305.png

A possible solution could be making the exponential scale of body mass ramp up a lot more towards the upper end, so people with say 117-121 strength get more extra visible muscle.
This way people who "min max" their strength to be the highest will look different, but the average fighter doesn't have to look like a balloon animal.

If you disagree with anything I have said or voted no on the poll, please take the time to explain why below.

Last edited:

Xunila

May 28, 2020
Germany
Is this with the new "no nudity" flag? (Smile)

I would like to see the first fat guy. Without muscles, only fat.

Skydancer

May 28, 2020
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with a call to tweak things, but I think this is a childish reaction to body types which I think is due to the fact you can be the worlds strongest man in MO1 and not look like the world strongest man at all.

Lets say that 110 is in the realm of peak physical strength for humans. The biggest and strongest a human can possibly be. With a single character account, how many of those will there actually be if it limits players ability to play a broad range of roles? How many brutes will there be relative to general all-rounders?

Behemoths SHOULD stick out. Being that strong should immediately make you recognizable and a target/threat due to physical presence. That's equivalent to The Mountain, where most might be more like Bron - an excellent combatant but not particularly strong or imposing.

Nobody is forcing you to be 110 str and 116 con or whatever the stats are, and if you feel like you can't be competitive in melee without being a literal bulldozer, perhaps that says more about your insecurity as a fighter than what's being forced upon you.

Tweak it down a bit, sure; as long as that doesn't negatively impact someone else's build and turn Alvarin dex classes into literal sticks.

Also as you have demonstrated, you place value on your physical appearance as well as your characters physical ability. That's a completely valid value judgment that must be made by people who hold these values. Do you value being the pinnacle of melee physicality more than you hate being Mr beefcake? If not, perhaps a different build will be more palatable for you.

If I've learned anything from my time in MMO's, it's that meta is absolutely not required to be competitive is the player is good. Take Badman and his axe for example. Admitted it himself it was complete crap to use but he still used it at every opportunity and I guarantee he likely bested many meta builds using this sub-optimal trash that is axes.

Reactions: Jhackman

Darran

May 28, 2020
The bodies are more in cartoony proportions than realistic at the moment.

Valoran

May 28, 2020
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with a call to tweak things, but I think this is a childish reaction to body types which I think is due to the fact you can be the worlds strongest man in MO1 and not look like the world strongest man at all.

Lets say that 110 is in the realm of peak physical strength for humans. The biggest and strongest a human can possibly be. With a single character account, how many of those will there actually be if it limits players ability to play a broad range of roles? How many brutes will there be relative to general all-rounders?

Behemoths SHOULD stick out. Being that strong should immediately make you recognizable and a target/threat due to physical presence. That's equivalent to The Mountain, where most might be more like Bron - an excellent combatant but not particularly strong or imposing.

Nobody is forcing you to be 110 str and 116 con or whatever the stats are, and if you feel like you can't be competitive in melee without being a literal bulldozer, perhaps that says more about your insecurity as a fighter than what's being forced upon you.

Tweak it down a bit, sure; as long as that doesn't negatively impact someone else's build and turn Alvarin dex classes into literal sticks.

Also as you have demonstrated, you place value on your physical appearance as well as your characters physical ability. That's a completely valid value judgment that must be made by people who hold these values. Do you value being the pinnacle of melee physicality more than you hate being Mr beefcake? If not, perhaps a different build will be more palatable for you.

If I've learned anything from my time in MMO's, it's that meta is absolutely not required to be competitive is the player is good. Take Badman and his axe for example. Admitted it himself it was complete crap to use but he still used it at every opportunity and I guarantee he likely bested many meta builds using this sub-optimal trash that is axes.
Most of what you're saying was already addressed in the post.

As stated in the thread, 110 strength is well within the range of every single melee focused build. Most people playing humans and thursar will have around or higher than 110 strength simply because the attribute pool allows it.

That is average stats, not the min maxed pinnacle of strength.

I also stated that I do think being massive should be an option, just don't force the average player to look ridiculous as well which is what is happening if average stated characters look like that.

Using your Bron vs Mountain example, the "lower" strength human is already massive, so there is no room for agile slim Bron looking melee fighters that don't have stupidly low strength like <50 unless you want to be an Alvarin.

Again, having the ability to be massive isn't the problem. Forcing average players who aren't min maxed for strength to be massive is.

For instance, the average melee foot fighter in MO1 had 117 strength, but you could play thursar/kallard and get 119. I agree that as a thursar with such high strength values it makes sense to be huge, but for the average human it doesn't.

It's not like the person on the left is skinny.

HappyHour

Nov 18, 2020
Phoenix
Where's my chunky girls at?

Happy-Hour-Sig-1.png

• Haha
Reactions: Goltarion