Alpha FPS issues?

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
Hello again SV community. I understand the struggle with MO2's FPS issues. Personally with my setup, I averaged 10-25 FPS with all sorts of spiking and issues before messing with every setting. I also get that we haven't had any optimization yet. Though until that happens here is the simplest way to get through the alpha phase with somewhat decent FPS. Obviously this is subject to personal opinion.

Lowering Resolution : This works well, though the graphics go to junk at least you will have better FPS. You will have to switch to fullscreen to have the resolution switch properly.

Switching from Dx12 to Dx11: This does not work for everyone. I personally had a 5 fps increase which is something I guess. I also noticed less spiking when using dx11 over dx12. Though as I stated before this may not work for everyone.
*How to switch to Dx11: Load the game directly from steam page, it should give you the option between Dx12 and Dx11.

Lowing your Graphics: Use the lowest settings possible. Like most games, they just run smoother.

While I haven't found anything else in game or via steam that can really increase the FPS. Though I will suggest to use something similar to Razors Cortex to open up some extra Ram speed. The game is hugely CPU/GPU intensive and having a computer that barely meets requirements will not run the game as well as you think it may. After speaking with Henrik they are working on optimization and they believe that the minimum requirements should be fine after they optimize the game.

I hope this can help everyone who is struggling with FPS during the alpha phase, I know it may not be what you wanna see during alpha or any part of the game. But at least this can get you playing with better FPS and hopefully give you a chance to compete somewhat in this phase of the game. We are all in this together during this particular phase of the game. No harm no foul if you dislike this guide, though I can say that it has help me tremendously. After all these steps I now have a fairly consistent 60fps with slight spiking over steam nodes and some spiking issues with the stuff that loads up in game.

I would also like to thank @PatWins for pointing out that the resolution doesn't do as it should unless it is in fullscreen. Thanks again Pat!
Good luck everyone, I hope to see you on the battlefield!

-Phen

Rolufe

Jun 1, 2020
Hello again SV community. I understand the struggle with MO2's FPS issues. Personally with my setup, I averaged 10-25 FPS with all sorts of spiking and issues before messing with every setting. I also get that we haven't had any optimization yet. Though until that happens here is the simplest way to get through the alpha phase with somewhat decent FPS. Obviously this is subject to personal opinion.

Lowering Resolution : This works well, though the graphics go to junk at least you will have better FPS. You will have to switch to fullscreen to have the resolution switch properly.

Switching from Dx12 to Dx11: This does not work for everyone. I personally had a 5 fps increase which is something I guess. I also noticed less spiking when using dx11 over dx12. Though as I stated before this may not work for everyone.
*How to switch to Dx11: Load the game directly from steam page, it should give you the option between Dx12 and Dx11.

Lowing your Graphics: Use the lowest settings possible. Like most games, they just run smoother.

While I haven't found anything else in game or via steam that can really increase the FPS. Though I will suggest to use something similar to Razors Cortex to open up some extra Ram speed. The game is hugely CPU/GPU intensive and having a computer that barely meets requirements will not run the game as well as you think it may. After speaking with Henrik they are working on optimization and they believe that the minimum requirements should be fine after they optimize the game.

I hope this can help everyone who is struggling with FPS during the alpha phase, I know it may not be what you wanna see during alpha or any part of the game. But at least this can get you playing with better FPS and hopefully give you a chance to compete somewhat in this phase of the game. We are all in this together during this particular phase of the game. No harm no foul if you dislike this guide, though I can say that it has help me tremendously. After all these steps I now have a fairly consistent 60fps with slight spiking over steam nodes and some spiking issues with the stuff that loads up in game.

I would also like to thank @PatWins for pointing out that the resolution doesn't do as it should unless it is in fullscreen. Thanks again Pat!

-Phen
You should check this out as it will probably give you a few more FPS.

Reactions: Kuroi

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
I have noticed that too, but as the Kallus has pointed out.. It's a bug that is fixed next patch. So i didn't include it because of short time frame left for that bug.

But i am happy you shared this!

Reactions: Rolufe

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020

-Phen
Do you know of a way to see what direct X version you're using in game if you launch from Cortex?

Lasciel

Oct 3, 2020
Razor Cortex doesn't increase any speed, it merely ends applications/background programs to free up memory. Decent systems will likely not notice any difference in using this program, though for some with drastically clogged and un-maintained PC's it might help.

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
@Teknique I don't launch from Cortex, I purely launch from steam when using Dx11. I can look into it though, I just haven't tried sense this laptop im using doesn't meet the minimum requirements to even play the game.

@Handsome Young Man I'm sorry your post got removed.... Would you like to add to this or are you going to just keep being a rude person for no reason at all?

@Lasciel I'm not sure where you read that it increase FPS on my post.. i was just stating that in opens up Ram speed, this can help players who don't have a lot of ram. Please show me where i stated that it helps FPS.

Sense I see some people are missed the beginning were i stated " Obviously this is subject to personal opinion." No one has to use this guide though doing theses steps got me able to play the game and somewhat be able to do combat. Once the game is optimized, I'll make another FPS updated

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
@Teknique I don't launch from Cortex, I purely launch from steam when using Dx11. I can look into it though, I just haven't tried sense this laptop im using doesn't meet the minimum requirements to even play the game.

@Handsome Young Man I'm sorry your post got removed.... Would you like to add to this or are you going to just keep being a rude person for no reason at all?

@Lasciel I'm not sure where you read that it increase FPS on my post.. i was just stating that in opens up Ram speed, this can help players who don't have a lot of ram. Please show me where i stated that it helps FPS.

Sense I see some people are missed the beginning were i stated " Obviously this is subject to personal opinion." No one has to use this guide though doing theses steps got me able to play the game and somewhat be able to do combat. Once the game is optimized, I'll make another FPS updated
I am at a loss for words.

Lasciel

Oct 3, 2020

You're not sure where you read it because I didn't say that anything like that. I specifically stated that Razor Cortex does not affect RAM speed. The way you're stating it is making it seem as though it's increasing or over-clocking the RAM, which it is not doing. It's freeing up memory, which RAM is. This will benefit people the most who have clogged machines and ill-kept ones, perhaps even ones under the minimum requirement or meeting. The chance of it increasing performance is low, however.

Either way, it doesn't matter. Seems like you're just using the wrong term but understand what the program does.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
I didn't really understand a reason to make a guide on commonly known things. Anyone who plays games on a PC would of tried all of this already, it's just really redundant and adds nothing in way of helping others. It's honestly kind of misleading.

I'd hate to be the guy wanting FPS help, only to come here and realize it's all the common knowledge stuff people do.

Reactions: Zequron

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
You're not sure where you read it because I didn't say that anything like that. I specifically stated that Razor Cortex does not affect RAM speed. The way you're stating it is making it seem as though it's increasing or over-clocking the RAM, which it is not doing. It's freeing up memory, which RAM is. This will benefit people the most who have clogged machines and ill-kept ones, perhaps even ones under the minimum requirement or meeting. The chance of it increasing performance is low, however.

Either way, it doesn't matter. Seems like you're just using the wrong term but understand what the program does.

RAM... Random Access Memory. With less stuff clogging up the ram has more space to do as it needs. Yes i used a term most disagree with, though if you look at how we use ram in computers, we add more ram to give us quicker information transfers. Which is why they have a number at the end like 3200Mhz.

Mhz : a measure of the frequency of radio transmissions or the clock speed of a computer.

As you can see the definition uses the word speed. By allowing your computer to have less information clogging those Mhz you gain clock speed. I understand that most people will fight this all day long and I'm okay with that.

This is what what Razer Cortex does: Game Booster improves your PC performance by managing and killing processes and apps you don't need while gaming (like business apps and background helpers). This frees up valuable resources and RAM needed for games, resulting in higher frames per second and smoother gaming performance.

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
Lowering resolution shouldnt be allowed, your gaining an unfair advantage as your enlarging the hitbox so its easier to land hits. Its literally cheating. I hope Mr Henrik updates the ToS soon enough.

• Haha
Reactions: Teknique and Keurk

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
Lowering resolution shouldnt be allowed, your gaining an unfair advantage as your enlarging the hitbox so its easier to land hits. Its literally cheating. I hope Mr Henrik updates the ToS soon enough.

What do you mean? It's in the game setting..... I did not tamper with any files to do such... You can also choose to have 90 FOV or 110. This does not make the game unfair.. We all have those options available to us.

Rhias

May 28, 2020
What do you mean? It's in the game setting..... I did not tamper with any files to do such... You can also choose to have 90 FOV or 110. This does not make the game unfair.. We all have those options available to us.

He's affected cause the other thread about modifying game files got delete, and he was wrong.

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
Do you know of a way to see what direct X version you're using in game if you launch from Cortex?

Okay Tek.... f...! Just read though about 20 posts and the user manual to see if it there is a way to check and there is not. They have nearly nothing about what DX is being used when launching a game. Its almost as if you have to set it up somewhere else before adding it to Cortex but even then i couldn't find any information on it.

Only suggestion i have is to not run it through Cortex but use it to free ram.

Reactions: Teknique

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
He's affected cause the other thread about modifying game files got delete, and he was wrong.

I was trying to warn them beforehand but i was called dumb ..... I guess it's just one of those games people play thinking one thing and not knowing.

A great challenge of life: Knowing enough to think you are right, but not know enough to know that you are wrong. *Neil deGrasse Tyson

Reactions: Rolufe

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
So I should be expected to play the game in Oblivion graphics to be competitive? How is that fair? And its gonna be even worse when magic and bows come out...

Last edited:

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
So I should be expected to play the game in Oblivion graphics to be competitive? How is that fair? And its gonna be even worse when magic and bows come out...

How so... you can still see everything just fine. The level of graphics doesn't change what you see, just makes the graphics look like junk is all.

There is no advantage with the guide because absolutely everyone can do this if they felt like it. If you can't run the game in such a way that makes it playable for you, then i suggest to use this guide and bring your fps up to be more competitive if that's what you are trying to do. Otherwise you are just wanting to see better graphics and that's purely your choice.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
I was trying to warn them beforehand but i was called dumb ..... I guess it's just one of those games people play thinking one thing and not knowing.

A great challenge of life: Knowing enough to think you are right, but not know enough to know that you are wrong. *Neil deGrasse Tyson

Honestly it´s much more basic than that even. I´ve been ridiculed for speaking up against exploits, cheats and the like before by people who have been banned afterwards. They are normalizing wrong doing to then being able to exploit without a bad conscience.

It happens usually within guilds, since they are more or less uniform and don´t allow differing opinions. For the same reason you will find that guilds members usually repeat the same non sensical suggestions for years and years without any reflection.

The basic reasoning is the same as with the .ini files. "The game does not work properly for me, so I just "fix" it". Too much stuff going on? Remove foliage ANDshadows. Targets too small? Reduce resolution below legal limit. Too much grinding because of stupid game design? Dupe. Other players are able to escape me? Speedhack.

I think it´s good that you put out this guide and hope this discussion stays as well. Showing the correct path and unmasking this way of thinking is a worthwhile cause.

Edit: put emphasis on foliage over shadows

Last edited:

Keurk

May 28, 2020
France
www.youtube.com
Honestly it´s much more basic than that even. I´ve been ridiculed for speaking up against exploits, cheats and the like before by people who have been banned afterwards. They are normalizing wrong doing to then being able to exploit without a bad conscience.

It happens usually within guilds, since they are more or less uniform and don´t allow differing opinions. For the same reason you will find that guilds members usually repeat the same non sensical suggestions for years and years without any reflection.

The basic reasoning is the same as with the .ini files. "The game does not work properly for me, so I just "fix" it". Too much stuff going on? Remove foliage and shadows. Targets too small? Reduce resolution below legal limit. Too much grinding because of stupid game design? Dupe. Other players are able to escape me? Speedhack.

I think it´s good that you put out this guide and hope this discussion stays as well. Showing the correct path and unmasking this way of thinking is a worthwhile cause.
i dont think any people on the previous post that got deleted did want to abuse or exploit, they just wanted to be able to run the alpha and combat test...
Personally if you know me a bit, you know i am very against exploiting cheating and all that stuffs, you might also know i never been banned ingame in MO on any of my account since 2010.
When i started the alpha, first thing i tried was disabling shadows (like it was possible in MO1 right ? WEj04en.png
because i couldnt do much ingame, and at minimal settings not only it was ugly, but there is a very important clipping with the shadows.
Please try to not see malicious meaning behind all that kind of actions ,because you are wrong. Because it is not "the game isnt running properly for me " it is more like " this dev studio is unable to freaking optimize things once again and multiples people who can run many recent games cannot properly run this one"

Attachments

• WEj04en.png
    WEj04en.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Love
Reactions: Eldrath